Leporinus with community fish?

Kiwilover

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2010
Would I be okay with keeping a Leporinus with fish like Swordtails, Snakeskin Gourami, Buenos Aires Tetra, Angelfish, Silver Dollars, Paradisefish, Rubberlip Pleco, and a pictus catfish? I know that they have been said to be aggressive, all I hear are reports of fin nipping from people I know in real life who own/owned one. My LFS sells them young. I really like these fish and am very interested. :D

Feb 27, 2009
They are aggressive fin-nippers and grow 10-12" in captivity. I wouldn't risk most of the fish you listed, with the possible exception of a shoal of silver dollars or any of the armored catfish like your rubberlip.

Kiwilover

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2010
Hmm, now from what I've read, it all depends on personality. My friend keeps his with swords, platies, rainbows, many different tetras (even neons), Gourami, Balas, etc, and it's fine.

Feb 27, 2009
Hmm, now from what I've read, it all depends on personality. My friend keeps his with swords, platies, rainbows, many different tetras (even neons), Gourami, Balas, etc, and it's fine.
I don't know what you've read, I only know from my own experience.

If you get Leporinus fasciatus young, the fish you mentioned will be safe for awhile. But they grow fast if given the right conditions and will eat most of those smaller fish.

What sized tank does your friend keep them in with all those fish?

Last edited: