Leporad Puffer

Nov 17, 2006
Hazleton,Pa
:D My friend at the Pet store has a puffer that eats and eats but losses weight.He is getting dangerously thin in the back.He is skinny from the front two fins back.He doesnt no.I looked around but to no prevail.He feeds them flake food and once in a while snails.Tank mates Ruby scat and figure 8 puffer.In a 20 L its a pet store. Thanks Pat

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
for god's sake, feed the poor puffer something other than flake. who cares if he eats that anyway. snails should be his main food source, if not then some silversides or krill or something with a tough shell. something to fill the poor thing's stomach. i have had many puffers, trust me on this. and be more descriptive in your explanations...well, try to make more sense with it.

Breeze7050

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2006
Fishers, IN
www.myspace.com
iplaydafoozball said:
for god's sake, feed the poor puffer something other than flake. who cares if he eats that anyway. snails should be his main food source, if not then some silversides or krill or something with a tough shell. something to fill the poor thing's stomach. i have had many puffers, trust me on this. and be more descriptive in your explanations...well, try to make more sense with it.
Everything he says is correct. Puffers are not meant to eat flakes - most plain out won't even try them. You need to tell your friend to have tons of snails (small) for him. As mentioned previously krill, bloodworms (as a treat only), ghost shrimp, shrimp - from the grocery store, fish scrapes - also from the grocery store ect.
If this puffer doesn't get some better food, it doesn't sound like he is going to make it!!:(

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
If he is eating but not gaining any weight chances are he has internal parasites. Also, like everyone said, flakes won't cut it with puffers. I feed mine frozen & freeze dried krill, and frozen & freeze dried bloodworms. Snails are great, also.

Nov 17, 2006
Hazleton,Pa
f8fan said:
If he is eating but not gaining any weight chances are he has internal parasites. Also, like everyone said, flakes won't cut it with puffers. I feed mine frozen & freeze dried krill, and frozen & freeze dried bloodworms. Snails are great, also.
whats a cure for it? Tommorrow i am going to see how its doing.Its not my fish its the guy at the pet stores.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Soak their food in Gel-Tek Ultra Cure PX. I do this for a couple weeks, it seems to really go down well with frozen bloodworms. I use a tiny tupperware container and put a cube or two of frozen bloodworms, cover with the Gel Tek, and let this soak overnight. Feed them to the puffer and keep the remainder in the fridge for subsequent feedings.