legal or not???????????

b.y.o.b

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
???
hello all-
i am a "new fishy" anyway i live in alaska and i would like to find out for sure about something.
ok--are piranhas legal in the state of alaska? dont look at piranha.org either i dont think they are right, but i could very well possibly be wrong.
i have seen many places on the internet that say they are not illegal in alaska, but there are people who beg to differ.
am i right or am i wrong????????????????????does anyone have a clue? thanks

david

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Piranhas are legal in Alaska.There not legal were they would have a chance to live if introduced to a lake or river.Alaska gets cold so they would probably allow it.If your looking for someone that sells piranha look at this site.It also tells you the states that they are legal or illegal.
                  www.kencofish.com

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well they are illegal in California but it is so easy to get.  I visited 3 different LFS and all 3 were willing to sell them to me if I wanted.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well I have seen them sold under the name "red bellied pacu's" but they were pirahnas. I wouldn't think that anyone would really care though would they? I mean how many times have you seen a game warden in a pet store? They need to enforce that law a little bit better. ;D

TIGER9

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
indiana
there are plenty of fish stores who sell piranha in illegal states. but alot of places sell pacu's and just label them as piranha. and when they are very young its extremely hard to tell the difference.

keprydak

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
TX
www.xanga.com
How can you tell the difference between a Pacu and a Piranha? Diet? I know that they are illegal to import into the US, but if you buy them from a breeder I guess its okay, unless you like in Texas, or those other states mentioned...

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
In some states, like NY for instance, it is not illegal to own pirahna, but it is illegal to sell them without a permit. Shops here that sell pirahna have NYDEC permits, and must have them displayed. How this is suppose to stop the black market, I don't know, since many folk with pirahna are always trading the fish or looking to desparetly offload some spawn(I had some guy offer me 10 of them for free once, but I wasn't interested).
~~Colesea

AnThRaXiD

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2003
EUROPE
Visit site
Originally posted by Amanda
just curious, but how do you tell the difference from a pacu and a pirahna when they are little? lfs has red belly pacus, but they could be pirahnas??
its pretty easy.... first of all is the structure of the jaws...and their shape..piranhas lower jaw is extended and fatter...also piranhas got lots of teeth while pacus got only two...piranhas body shape is "rounder" while piranhas arent... young piranhas got black DOTS all over their body...pacus doesnt have dots.. have some kind of markings but no dots..i will try to post some pics of jouvie piranhas and jouvie pacus