LED Lighting Advise

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Ok so its been a SUPER long time since I have been on here. If you dont know me, I have a 92 Gallon corner tank with custom rock wall sides and African Cichlids. Well that was when I lived in Chicago. I recently moved to the amazing and beautiful San Diego area called "Oceanside" where I scooped up a townhouse on the beach. So I figured I would venture back into the Saltwater world considering my surroundings. It just seemed fitting....

So here is my question, I have some time to decide too because I'm refinishing the stand that the movers thought was made of Steel...(Broken, scratched etc....) I'm looking to do a Saltwater tank with live rock, but fish only. Maybe in the future grab a few creatures for the rocks, but just fish for right now.

I'm looking to change the compact florescent light on top to a nice LED light. I have heard good things about the Marineland double bright LED lighting system 36"-48" which would be the size I need. I want to make sure the tank is super white and bright. I enjoy the fish coloring and thats my main goal. I also want to think about the future, so that's why I want to get the LED lights.

Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System

Does anyone have any experience with this light? Any issues?

Thanks!!!

(BTW: Pics to come of the rebuild and setup soon)

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
That stuff is fine for FW but SW (with coral) needs LED's with blue light in them if you are going to be keeping things other then fish. If keeping just fish they will be fine but the colors might not be as good. Here is a link with a light as an example but its pricey so note this is just an example of what I am talking about. Coralife Aqualight LED Light Fixture, Aquarium LED Lighting | PetSolutions

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
I see what you mean. I'm more less just wondering if the Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System 36-48 would be a good light to have for the future if I did decide to throw some corals and such in the tank later on. I don't want to waste my money....

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
If you plan on coral the marineland lights would not be a good option. You need white type LED's in about 10,000k, 12,000k, and up into the 19,000k area to support corals plus about one 455nm LED for each white. There are also lights called Par38. search this to find info, these are a little cheaper (ecoxotic par38 led aquarium lamp)

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
The only thing I have to add here is: if you are thinking of maybe, adding some corals to your tank at some point. You really need to make sure the fish you will be getting for your tank will be coral friendly, just in case you end up with a few corals in your tank.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Awesome thanks for the advice.

BTW, where did you get your RO/DI system? I'm thinking of getting one and could use the advice. I only have the option to tap into a hose (Garden style) due to it being a townhouse. I cant go ripping any plumbing out of the walls....

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
If you are handy you can DIY your own for a fraction of the cost. Rapid LED sells the stuff I use except I buy my LED's from topledlights on ebay because its more cost effective there for LED's. I used plastic roof gutter for my light housing.
Rapid LED is great if your good with a soldering iron. I think they actually have some little do-dads that allow you to do a full install without any soldering, but it will drive the cost up. To me, it was a huge pain to try to start to figure out what all I needed for a DIY LED setup, however the easiest way to get started would be to read all you can, then pick out a light that someone made that's close to your setup and tweak it for your own use.