Koi fins

Jun 12, 2005
I have a Koi that hopped out of the tank while I was gone and I found him on the ground. I picked him up and put him back in, but I noticed his one right front fin is shrivelled up and kind of hard. Does that heal? Is there anyway to help it?

steve535

Large Fish
Feb 10, 2003
nj
Visit site
koi can grow to 3' in 5 years. as a rule for them 100gal/1" not 1"/1 gal.it might grow back.use plenty of stress coat.melafix if the fin is not to far gone.you can also check your salt level keep it at a 0.01%(about 1 lb/100gal).koi will jump looking for larger bodies of water.good luck

Jun 12, 2005
steve535 said:
koi can grow to 3' in 5 years. as a rule for them 100gal/1" not 1"/1 gal.it might grow back.use plenty of stress coat.melafix if the fin is not to far gone.you can also check your salt level keep it at a 0.01%(about 1 lb/100gal).koi will jump looking for larger bodies of water.good luck

Thanks Steve. By tank I mean indoor pond. I used one of the outdoor pond liners and built a brick structure around it. I guess I filled it too high and they were able to jump out. I've lowered the water level and I think they will have a hard time getting out now. I will follow your advice on the salt and stress coat as well.

Thanks again.