Juwel fishtanks

Apr 7, 2004
England
Visit site
Hi guys,
I've got a Rio 125 Juwel tank, with in-built filter/pump etc. Every now-and-then the pump 'buzzes' for about a minute, and then goes quiet again. It's done this from day 1. Is this normal for the Juwel pumps, or could the impeller be loose?
:cool:

Mar 25, 2004
Visit site
I know this doesn't help but if you would have posted on advice before you bought the tank (or if you did and I had read it) I would have said to not consider Juwel Tanks at all.

I've had mine for three months and although they are cheap they are utterly ****e in my opinion.

In the two months I have had it, I have ripped out the awful built in filter, buy different lighting and purchased an external filter. In retrospect for the same money I could have bought a better quality tank and bought the equipment seperate.

I would recommend if you can afford it to either buy a decent internal filter and rip out the Jewel one (real easy blunt knife no damage just remove silicone). Or you could do the same and buy an external filter like I did (but more expensive).

What happens with the Juwel (certainly ones I have ever seen) is that the bottom layer of fine filter pads never actually kick in and seem clean even after months of running.

In any case it could be that something is loose or maybe the pump is just 'jiggling' the heater or mine use to make that noise because of the filter cover. I never put it in flat, and it buzzed. Also I would put a small rock or something over it because I found that (I have frogs) got inside the filter.

Hope that helps some what.

Yusuf

Joanne

Medium Fish
Mar 31, 2004
Scotland
Visit site
I have a juwel and dont have a problem with the filtration at all. Although I suppose it depends on what you have in the tank.

Ive heard this buzzing once and it was the impeller. I just turned off the filter took out the power head and manually rotated the impeller a couple of times. Ive never heard the noise again.

Apr 7, 2004
England
Visit site
Thanks guys. Will try the 'manual rotation' idea....hope it works!
I've only had this tank for a couple of months, so not yet had to change the bottom filters, but so far (according to water parameters), things are OK. On the other hand, one of my mates has a Rio 400, and has just finished ripping out the Juwel filter in place for externals, for the same reasons as yusufosman! Soon find out I guess.....