Just starting do I have the right idea in reference to equipment

Jan 29, 2012
Toledo, OH
I am thinking of starting with Fish only and here is my list of equipment I am thinking of going with. Any suggestions or missing anything so I am on the right track?

Equipment with Fish Only Tank
55 Gallon Tank
Marineland Emperor 400 Bio-Wheel Filtration
CF-300 Canister Filter - 264 gph
PROTEIN SKIMMER FILTER 180 W/ PUMP
Coralife 20000K Fluorescent Light Bulb 48"
Tetra Whisper 60 Air Pump
ViaAqua 200 Watt Quartz Heater
Hagen Living Sea Floating Hydrometer with Thermometer, C & F, small, 8 inch
Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix - 50gal Bag
CaribSea Dry Aragonite Super Reef Sand 55 lb
Seachem Laboratories MultiTest: Marine Basic Test Kit
Base Rock 40#

After maybe 6 month will purchase before adding live Rock and Coral
Deep Blue Professional Solarmax H.O. T5 Double Lamp Light System

Thanks any suggestions would be great...

JimNWOhio

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Is this your first experience with aquariums and have you read the "Stickies" at the beginning of this forum? I am not a SW person, but I know that those on the forum who are will recommend that and they will also be glad to answer all your questions. Good Luck! I understand its a big undertaking.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
The Pros in here will help you more than I can, but after reading your post a couple of things jumped out at me, nothing major :) I would think about going ahead and put the Live Rock in the tank right from the start. Not sure I am right here but, waiting may cause you to go thru another tank cycle down the road. The only other thing I have to add, you say down the road you might want corals, make sure any fish you get for the tank before then will be coral friendly. The pro will have to help you with the equipment list. Good Luck with the new tank, and post pics for us :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You really should start with live rock and powerheads. You don't really need the canister filters in that case. You definitely don't need the airpump. Reading the stickies will give you a good idea of how to get started.

It's really important to plan well and buy the right equipment from the start. It will save you both money and frustration in the long run.

Jan 29, 2012
Toledo, OH
Thanks for the information, guess just scared to death only having live rock and skimmer for filtration. I am assuming there would be no problem having the canister pump along with the live rock and skimmer? How many power heads would your recommend? Also thanks for the info on the air pump.

Thanks again?
Jim