Is this okay?

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
I have 2 Koi 4-5 inches, and Algae Eater 3-4 inches, 4 goldfish 2-3 inches, and African Clawed Frog 3-4 inches. I have a 150 Gallon tank. I don't want the goldfish but I don't know what else to get to replace them so that all will get along. Any suggestions? *GOLDFISH*

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
dont replace them with a pleco. plecos are tropical fish. and a pleco will kill a goldfish. they seem to suck the slime coat right of of the fish

Aug 8, 2005
BC, Canada
You are already overstocked in this tank. Adult koi grow to 2 feet or more and the gold fish will be over 12" if they're comets. If you're going to remove the goldfish, then don't add anything else. Better yet, move the koi to a pond where they can reach their full growth in a healthy manner. If the goldfish are fancies (which get to be approx 6-10 ") maybe four of them can live happily in a 150 g. You can keep their temp. a bit higher (72 - 75) and keep tropicals with them, but I still wouldn't add anything else.
If you want a community tank you should stock it with fish that don't get so big. Research your adult fish sizes.
(BTW Common plecos grow to over 2 feet as well)

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The koi will soon outgrow your tank. You'd need 100 gallons for each koi at the very minimum and more as they grow. Banded High fin Sharks also grow to 3 feet and are not suitable for tanks no matter what the pet stores say.

Why not find a place for the koi (an outdoor pond), decide what you're going to do with the goldies, and go from there? Are these fancies?

It's not a good idea to mix different types of goldfish too much (single tailed [comets/shubunkins] vs. split tailed [fantails/veils] vs. special needs [celestials/lionheads/telescopes]) the slower ones cannot compete in the long run. Two of my pond fish are spawn from a comet/oranda cross, because the pond they came from had a huge oranda mixed in with the comets, but I wouldn't do it myself because the average oranda would be seriously outcompeted by a zippy comet.

Your best bet is to decide what you're going to do with the fish you have and do some research on your own to decide what you'd like to do with that nice big tank. Once you take all the koi and goldfish out, you're playing with essentially an empty tank.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
ram man said:
dont replace them with a pleco. plecos are tropical fish. and a pleco will kill a goldfish. they seem to suck the slime coat right of of the fish
Not in my expirience. I have 2 plecos in my pond with goldfish and koi. As long as they are fed they wont do that.

Agree with seleya. Heck, Id say more than 100 gallons/koi and no to koi in a tank in general, they are just an outdoor pond fish in my opinion.