Is this "normal" blue gourami behavior?

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
I just added 2 blue gouramis -- one male, one female -- to my tank. They're each about three inches long. They currently share it with 4 Giant Danios, each about 2/5 to 2.75 inches each.

When I first added the gouramis, the Danios were terrified. Now, everyone is getting along peacefully -- one of the Danios tried to make out with a blue gourami yesterday. ;)

The female gourami is the adventurous one. Sometimes she just hangs out. More often, she slowly circles the tank, from front and then around to the back, through the plants. She turns "lips-down" and picks at the big rocks or the sand. She swims up and down the glass, touching one pectoral fin against it (looks like she's waving at me). She's usually out and about.

The male hangs out a lot behind the plants. He'll come out every so often -- especially when the female goes back there and seems to coax him out. When he's out, he does the same stuff the female does. He seems to like it more when the light is on in the evenings. From what I can see, though, more than half his time is spent hiding. When he swims, he seems perfectly healthy.

Should I worry? Is this just fish personality? I kept some hornwort floating yesterday, but removed it today -- the Danios were pecking it, and it was falling apart -- the Gouramis never seemed interested. I will add some other, more sturdy surface plants soon.

Maybe I am just being paranoid about my new, blue, beautiful fish....

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
I've been staring at this tank from across the room for an hour. Hehe.

It seems like the Giant Danios disrupt everything. That's my fault, because I know they like to shoal. But they're hyper all the time, and if I were a gourami, sheesh, I'd hide out some, too.

Given that I'm going to add tetras, etc. (below), I'm thinking the danios have to go back to the LFS. Maybe just gouramis, lemon/glowlite tetras, and the corys. Maybe add 2 kribs.

Thoughts?

Thank you all for your input -- I love it.

Apr 15, 2003
markandlacey.com
my gouramis like to do the "tank dance" also. Start at one end, and go up and down moving to the other end, waving at me with their fin. They do it for HOURS. When they first started to do it i thought it was swim bladder disease or something lol...

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
HELP! What's going on?

I did a 15-20 percent water change today. Ever since then, the MALE has been the active one -- he is chasing the female relentlessly. Looks like he's going for her underbelly or fins -- I haven't noticed any bites out of her fins yet. Up and down the tank -- tries to "pin" her on the bottom, and she does all of these contortions to get out.

Are they breeding? Are they playing? Are the establishing dominance?

They are both about 3 inches. As described above, previously, the female was FAR more active, but always gentle.

Water at 79 and steady. ALL the fish (including Danios) are hyper since the water change.

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
He stopped harassing her when I came over to tank. Sure enough, I walk away (and peek), and he does it. I come up to the tank, he stops.

Now, she's sitting at the bottom, at the front of the tank (it's sorta like she's waiting for me). I was peeking a moment ago. He swims down, tries to coax her to "play" (or whatever). She's a little twitchy with him, but she won't play. She turns to face him. They almost seem to snuggle. Then he gets bored and leaves. She stays there.

What the HECK is going on here?

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
has he built a bubble nest?how wde is your tank.wat i'm guessing is thereisn't enough room for t to gouramis to establish a spot of their own and the male is driving offthe female to ensure his space.gouramis do this sometimes.

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
no, no bubblenest. it's a 29g hex, about 18 inches across at the top. now, when he floats down to her, he's very gentle. they are mingling a bit more now. it's like he's wondering why she's chilling out so much. i often see them hanging out in diff spots (her in front, him in back, her at the bottom, him at the top). He's coming to coax her out, so I'm not sure it's a territory thing.

This is all very baffling.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
perhaps he isn't sexualy developed all the way and doesn'tknow to build a bubblenest yet.also gouramis lie plant matter to build their nests with.i am still wondering if18 inches isn't enough room for both gouramis too.it cold just be a mater of time as well.as long as no one gets hurt just wait for now.keep us posted.

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
Thanks to all of you, including Colisa Lalia --

It's died down for the most part. I assume it's not completely over, but I'm not sure. Catfish, you may be right about size of tank. Hence, I am going to keep a very close eye on it, and consider removing the Giant Danios to either the LFS or another, longer-tank (hmm, what's my checking account like right now?). Probably LFS -- I have to focus on this one.

That way, gouramis would have more room.

Anyway, thanks again, all -- I was truly freaked.