Is This Guppy Preggy?

MissDanni

Large Fish
Feb 12, 2008
This is spark, her male is Fire, they have been together for the past 3 weeks in our tank .... Is it just me or is she looking a little plump?

I currently have platy fry on the way, but should I prepare for guppy fry as well?

Attachments

Last edited:

MissDanni

Large Fish
Feb 12, 2008
Oh My!!

Ok well this is interesting, the platy fry that are on the way are my first ever. So now I have guppy fry to get ready for.

How long do I have before she will drop? Roughly? And how many should I be expecting?

I know that is all guess work but you all have more experience in this that I do so I appreciate any pointers.

Thanks so much for your help!

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
the gestation period for guppies is usually around 30 days, so roughly one drop a month. It depends on how big the female is, her environment during conception, and how many times she has given birth before to know how many she will have- without that info you can't get an answer really. It all depends on the individual fish.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
After reading this post and rereading your aquarium stocking, I personally would get rid of the net breeder and put plenty of small hiding areas into your tank, add some fake plants and let natue take its course, if not you will soon be overrun with baby fish that unfortunatley can be hard to find homes for, out of all mine and my wifes friends and co workers we managed to only find a home for 8 dalmation molly fry.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
I'll agree with ishar, but add a bit to what was said. Alot of times, on the little lady's first batch, she may only have 1 fry. Also, if she is stressed out by her environment, or her tank mates this can also cause her to have a very small batch of fry.

On the other hand, if she has had multiple batchs of fry, and is in good living conditions, you could end up with upwards of 20 fry on your hands!!!

Best of luck!! I have 20 fry in my tank, and 2 more prego females!! MAN! Is that alot of guppys!!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I am very concerned about your "happy little fish community" as some of those fish need a LARGE fish community and some shouldn't even be in the same community at all! Are these guys all in the same tank?

MissDanni

Large Fish
Feb 12, 2008
At the moment everyone is together, the larger fish are only small yet but will move to their own tank when they are a bit bigger.

Everyone gets along and they are all lively and happy.

I do realize some of these guys will get pretty big, but before that becomes an issue they will have their own spot.