Is pH so important?

Is pH that important to the health of Discus as mentioned in many books/articles?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
No, UNLESS you have wild fish. And let me tell you my opnion on this. Fish these days have become bred so much that they can accept a wide range of Temps, pH...etc...wild fish...well they are only used to wild type water. But homebred fish, nah, they can adapt quite easily. Discus are particular about pH during breeding....but other times i don't think its a big issue.

Sep 23, 2003
TN, India.
aquatrix.tripod.com
pH also vaires a lot in the wild. Some of my experiments in Indian waters concluded that pH is higher in morning and lower at nites. Also aerating the tank also pushes the pH up. I mixed 90% RO water (pH-6.0) & tap water (pH-8.0) and aerated it. Within 3 hrs it pumped the pH from 6.5 to 8. Without aeration it was almost stable around 6.8-7.0. Also pH is a wierd phenomenon and when experimented gives unacceptable results.
I've got my discus, angels, rams, neon tetras, bloodfin tetras, rummynose tetras all in a pH of 8.0-8.2 for around a year with absolutely no problem.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, pH doesn't always seem to make sense. Of course, you have to remember that it's on a logarithmic scale, and that other things, like carbonate hardness, will affect it. There are many variables that can affect your pH.

If your fish are happy in the pH you have, I wouldn't worry about it.

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
I'd have to argue with C-man here...

I put some F1 alenquers raised in asia - 6.0 ph into a local tank, ph is in the high 7.6-7.8 range, they're doing fine...

Discus adapt quite readily to any pH, but they do require VERY stable conditions... Just in the last few months that I've been using a python - I've had more problems, probably due to the fact that my pH from the tap is up in the 8 range, then natural gas-off + CO2 drops it down to roughly 7. Since I started using the python (instead of prepped water) I've had to dose metro 3 times, and malachite green once... Compared to one dose of metro just after I got them...

Taffy: Bolivian rams do just fine in the 8's - I've got a breeding pair in a tank with african cichlid sand (leftovers). They are fine, still spawn monthly...

Andy

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Stability is important, pH is sometimes. Try to keep rift cichlids in acid conditions and you won't be successful. Try to breed softwater fish in high pH you won't be successful.
Some fish are phsiologically adapted to high pH conditions, some to low. There are always 'exceptions that prove the rule', but for some fish pH is important.
Equally so is Gh and kH. There are certainly fisharound that won't breed and have shorter lives in hardwater like cardinal tetras. Alternatively put mbuna or tropheus into blackwater conditions and see how long they live.

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
Yep, I think fish species broadly fall into one of 3 groups. pH tolerant, acidophiles and alkalophiles (spelling?)

pH tolerant is what it implies, the fish will cope with a broad spectrum, but species in the other two groups should not and can not be successfully kept at the opposite extreme, having a narrower band of tolerance.

Whatever your pH, stability is central to good husbandry as it minimises stress.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Exactly. Take it if you are trying to breed discus. You aren't going to get much of a hatch rate if your water is of a higher Ph and hardness. Nor will you get much if your conductivity is off the radar. Apistos and discus have done quite well in my tap water.. Ph is around 8.5 and hardness is way up there.

Redribbon

Small Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Winter Olympic 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by fishboy
Exactly. Take it if you are trying to breed discus. You aren't going to get much of a hatch rate if your water is of a higher Ph and hardness. Nor will you get much if your conductivity is off the radar. Apistos and discus have done quite well in my tap water.. Ph is around 8.5 and hardness is way up there.
So! what is your tank pH and hardness for the fish could breed and the egg could hatch? If so do you think this kind of setting are good for the fry to grow?

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
For breeding pairs I use a mix of RO... probably around 3/4 RO and 1/4 tap. Gives me a good PH of around 6.5-6.8 usually and a really low hardness. Eggs most likely that are in my tap will not hatch.

For fry, if i ever get them..(damn fish keep eating the eggs), I'd slowly raise the PH little by little by using more and more tap in my mixture. Actually fry do better with harder water, as it contains necessary elements for their growth.

-Daniel

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
In one of my tanks (community barebottom) I have a pair that is laying. Right now they have eggs, but unfortunately they are always eaten by the other discus. If they keep spawning I guess I will move them to their own breeding tank. The other pair in one of my 29 gallons also just laid eggs(spawn spawn.. only around 70 eggs) however, mommy ate them. They are inexperienced though, so I'm hoping they will grow out of it. If not, I'll just move mommy.

The other spawning pair I have will not lay for me right now. I don't really expect them to either. I kinda tried to force that pair, and it doesn't look like it is working, so i might just move them back to a community tank.

I have not yet tried 100% RO, but I use water conditioner for when I add tap, so there is no chlorine.

-Daniel :D