Is my beta fish sick :(?

Apr 13, 2011
Hey guys, I am here to ask if my beta fish is sick or just lazy. The fish wont eat he will just sit on the bottom of the tank and every know and then he will come to the top to get a breath or two and go back down. I don't know what i am doing wrong i do weekly water changes, the tank is a 5 gallon filtered and heated. I have know clue on what i should do, i'v ran out of ideas, later tonight i am going to do a half water change to see what happens and i will add some Prime fish drops that remove chlorine, chloramine ammonia and more hopefully this will do the trick, if anyone has any other suggestions please say them so i can prevent this from going fatal i don't want to lose my bruceyy

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
He sounds lethargic so he's probably sick. When my female had Bloat she acted like that (I'm not saying that your Betta has bloat), now she's bustling all around my tank and loves to swim with my Platy fry. What are you feeding him. Try giving him Hikari Betta Bio Gold Pellets ($2 at a lfs) or regular pellet food. Then try some live bloodworms, and if you can't get live try frozen bloodworms. Also, what are your water parameters?? If you tell us this, then we can help with your Betta more. Did you just set the tank up, or did you let it cycle??

Apr 13, 2011
He sounds lethargic so he's probably sick. When my female had Bloat she acted like that (I'm not saying that your Betta has bloat), now she's bustling all around my tank and loves to swim with my Platy fry. What are you feeding him. Try giving him Hikari Betta Bio Gold Pellets ($2 at a lfs) or regular pellet food. Then try some live bloodworms, and if you can't get live try frozen bloodworms. Also, what are your water parameters?? If you tell us this, then we can help with your Betta more. Did you just set the tank up, or did you let it cycle??
thanks for the feed back.

The fish food i have is Betta bites they are pellets, I also have frozen bloodworm's and i don't know were to get live ones. I live in Australia so the shops are different here :) My water parameters I don't know i don't have a testing kit yet (Getting one ASAP as soon as i get payed to buy the kit) but what i can tell you is that the degrees of the water is 26, because i know fighters are tropical fish. I hope this answers enough. Around 2 hours ago i did a 50% water change cleaned the filter and noticed that one of the snails died, so maybe it was the Deerdre from that snail making him sick. I have took the snail out of the tank and noticed nothing in the shell so maybe the fish ate him?

Thats all i can give you hopefully it is enough to get an explanation oh, also the fish is more active know but he seems to just be floating around in one spot instead of on the ground.

Thanks a heap!!

Oct 29, 2010
The water changes should do the trick if your parameters are what is making him sick. We'll be able to help more once we know your parameters :)

Sometimes it helps to feed a betta small amounts of the inside of a crushed pea, if he'll take it. This will help clear him out if it's an intestinal problem. Good luck with your fish! :D

Oct 15, 2010
How is he?

Some (er..lots...) questions...

About him:

1: Are the fins fraying, or are pieces missing?
2: Is there any place on the body where the scales are standing out- like a pinecone?
3: Is there any discolouration on the body or fins?
4: Any cottony growth anywhere on the fish?
5: Are the tips of the fins black, or red?
6. If you shine a flashlight on him from above, is there any gold or grey "dust" on him?
7: Any white spots on him? Might look like someone shook salt or sugar on him?
8: Any behavioural changes that you have noticed? Basically I am wondering if anything is out-of-the-ordinary.
9: How often is he fed? Does he eat all of his food? Also, how much is he fed? Is he eating normally(not spitting out his food, or taking a long time to eat?
9: Has anything new been added to the tank?
10: I know its a funny question, but is he pooping regularly? What colour is it?

About the tank, maintenance and equipment:

1. What kind of filter is it? And how ofter do you change the filter pads? (A tip: sponges never need to be changes unless they are worn, or impossible to clean. A little dirt is fine, but when you do a water change take them out, and rinse them in the dirty water that you would have in the bucket/container. And for the carbon/charcoal: it isn't necessary. Use that space for another sponge. Only thing you would need carbon for is removing medicine from his water. No ammo chips are necessary either. It just messes with the cycle. Fill that space with sponges, or Just some money saving tips and tricks. ;) )
2. How often do you do gravel vacuums? For a 5 gallon I would recommend 25% 2x a week. Adding fresh de-clorinated water each time.

I think thats about it...If you have any questions feel free to ask. The one ? you don't ask could be the important one. :)

Apr 13, 2011
How is he?

Some (er..lots...) questions...

About him:

1: Are the fins fraying, or are pieces missing?
2: Is there any place on the body where the scales are standing out- like a pinecone?
3: Is there any discolouration on the body or fins?
4: Any cottony growth anywhere on the fish?
5: Are the tips of the fins black, or red?
6. If you shine a flashlight on him from above, is there any gold or grey "dust" on him?
7: Any white spots on him? Might look like someone shook salt or sugar on him?
8: Any behavioural changes that you have noticed? Basically I am wondering if anything is out-of-the-ordinary.
9: How often is he fed? Does he eat all of his food? Also, how much is he fed? Is he eating normally(not spitting out his food, or taking a long time to eat?
9: Has anything new been added to the tank?
10: I know its a funny question, but is he pooping regularly? What colour is it?

About the tank, maintenance and equipment:

1. What kind of filter is it? And how ofter do you change the filter pads? (A tip: sponges never need to be changes unless they are worn, or impossible to clean. A little dirt is fine, but when you do a water change take them out, and rinse them in the dirty water that you would have in the bucket/container. And for the carbon/charcoal: it isn't necessary. Use that space for another sponge. Only thing you would need carbon for is removing medicine from his water. No ammo chips are necessary either. It just messes with the cycle. Fill that space with sponges, or Just some money saving tips and tricks. ;) )
2. How often do you do gravel vacuums? For a 5 gallon I would recommend 25% 2x a week. Adding fresh de-clorinated water each time.

I think thats about it...If you have any questions feel free to ask. The one ? you don't ask could be the important one. :)
1. No, But they are clamped together but they spread out when i put a mirror there.

2. No, scales are fine.

3. There is a little bit of dicoloration on his head.

3. I think there is a bit under his head.

4. They are black.

5. No. There is no dust on him.

6. No, salt looking on him.

7. he used to be active, then he started to sit at the bottom of the tank. He used to eat but know he wont.

8. He is not eating at all, he usually eats 3 pellets in the morning and arvo

9. Yes, i added some 2 ramshon snails to the tank a couple of weeks ago

10. I havnt really seen him pooping but last time i did it was a brown colour.

1) The filter is a sponge one.

2) I didn't know you had to use gravel vac, and my snails have being pooping everywhere, so i will get one of them ASAP

Also i have noticed the black stuff on the back of his fin is starting to kill the fin, I think that defiantly has something to do with his sickness.

Apr 13, 2011
ok, he has fin rot. i am treating him with Fungus & Fin Rot medication. I also have some aquarium Salt should i add some know or when i do a water change?

Oct 15, 2010
I don't think I would add the salt quite yet- if by the time you are done medicating the fins look a little "shredded" it might be a good idea, but the fact that salt is not removable in any way but changing the water makes it hard as it will take a while to get rid of the salt. I think I would wait to add the salt. Just keep an eye on him after medicating. If he looks a little torn up once it is all done then add a little. :)

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
OMG BL!! My brain cells died trying to read all those questions, even though they are important. Plus, MFT, don't feel bad about the snail. My ramshorn went missing for a few weeks, then I had a snail breakout, and I found out that I squished him with my Terra Cotta pot. lol. I felt bad. He started out brown, but when I found him he was white. I killed my snail!! There wasn't anything inside the shell, but I know that none of my fish ate him. Also, Bettas are fighters, literally. My female Betta had bloat (a non-treatable disease, of the kidney I think, that is fatal. Only about 2%-5% of fish survive) and she had it bad. I put her in excellent water conditions (with my Platy fry) and she slowly started to get better. Her scales started lying flat (she was pineconed) and she started to eat my fry food. Now, she attacks her pellets like there's no tomorrow. lol. She loves that stuff. Try to post a picture of your Betta if you can, or at least try to find a Betta that looks similar to his condition on the internet. Good luck!! ;)

Apr 13, 2011
OMG BL!! My brain cells died trying to read all those questions, even though they are important. Plus, MFT, don't feel bad about the snail. My ramshorn went missing for a few weeks, then I had a snail breakout, and I found out that I squished him with my Terra Cotta pot. lol. I felt bad. He started out brown, but when I found him he was white. I killed my snail!! There wasn't anything inside the shell, but I know that none of my fish ate him. Also, Bettas are fighters, literally. My female Betta had bloat (a non-treatable disease, of the kidney I think, that is fatal. Only about 2%-5% of fish survive) and she had it bad. I put her in excellent water conditions (with my Platy fry) and she slowly started to get better. Her scales started lying flat (she was pineconed) and she started to eat my fry food. Now, she attacks her pellets like there's no tomorrow. lol. She loves that stuff. Try to post a picture of your Betta if you can, or at least try to find a Betta that looks similar to his condition on the internet. Good luck!! ;)
haha, yeah my snail started going pale then suddenly died :O but yeah to the fish. his heaps better he is starting to eat again, and he is more active, i will send you a picture i just have to find my stupid camera cord, talk to you shortly

byee :) thanks for all the help as well

haha, the fish is worth the time :) Yeah my snail starting to go a pale colour then he suddenly died, the other one is in my other 1 gallon thing that my betta came in. ill try send you a picture i just have to find my stupid phone cord!! haha, his starting to get better his more active and his EATING AGAIN!! YAAY! ill get a pic asap

thanks

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Congratulations!! You should really post some pics though. It's not hard if you get the right software/camera. I found that newer Kodiak cameras are easier to deal with when it comes to posting pictures and videos. Good luck!!