Is it possible to have two Ph levels?

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Both readings were taken just at the surface on opposite ends of a 33L.  I did add the powerhead a little bit ago, but haven't taken any additional readings yet, as I had to feed the kids and clean up the "school is out for the weekend, lets trash the house" rampage through my house. There also seems to be a new oil slick looking mess floating on top of the tank water that I am not too happy about.  It is time for a water change tonight I think.

Jan

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Now both readings are 6.8.  My guess is that as I was adding the regeant for the test it formed a air bubble or something on the tip and more regeant got in one test that the other, causing the two different readings.  That is all I can figure out anyway. Because it seems like if there was two different readings, as the fish swam from one end of the tank to the other, they would go into shock.  

I am still disturbed about the oil slick though.

Jan

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
well..glad you solved that problem. talking about 'oil slicks' since i don't really have any surface disturbance, i get a thin film of something on the surface of my tank. saw the most interesting thing yesterday. guess there was enough surface tension that a snail could actually 'stick' to the surface. what's even more funnier was that the filter was pushing the water on top thus pushing the snail around my tank. looked like it was skating. haha. oh wells..just wanted to share. =P

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
On one side of my tank, where the CO2 is, the ph reads at 6.2.  On the opposite side, near the filter, the ph reads 6.8. I don't know what is going on.  I think I am going to put a power head below the surface of the water near the side where the c02 is, and see if that makes the water mix better.  Anything else I should do?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
what is the size of you tank? never heard of that situation before. i think the powerhead will help spread the c02 around more. the only thing i remember is that you can get different readings of PH at different DEPTH of the water...