Is it possible to have newts and fish together?

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Hey! I was wondering if I could have some newts (fire-belly probably) and some fish together in the same (ten-gallon) tank. I would set it up so there would be an island in the middle of the tank for the newts (who are amphibians, so they swim and walk) with some plants and a shelter, the rest would be water. Fire-belly newts don't like heat, so the fish would have to be cold-water... Like goldfish!! So is there a goldie that is fairly tough and hardy, but stays quite small. I would only have about one, maybe two because goldies are poop machines. So is there a small goldie, or a fish that likes or doesn't mind cold water?? Also, the tank would probably be only about 2/3 full, and the fish have to be Non-Agressive, so the newts would not be in danger.
...Oh, and if fire-belly newts and fish aren't possible, is there a lizard, a frog, or a different kind of newt that would go with fish??
Thanks so much everyone for the answers in advance!! *thumbsups

Feb 27, 2009
The fish you choose may outcompete the newt for food. They are slow feeders. They are also escape artists, so make sure the lid has no openings. They can crawl straight up an aquarium wall and out onto the hood and then off onto the floor in an instant!

Mixicano

Small Fish
Aug 7, 2009
Milwaukee
i have a FB newt which do to circumstances beyond my control, i had to keep temporarily in my Rainbow tank, but ended up leaving him there cuz he loves it, and i keep my tank 75-80deg he's been there for over a year now, but i don't know, maybe he's just a freak of nature.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
I kept a FireBelly with a few White Clouds and it worked out for a while...

Problem is, newts are hard as hell to feed IMO. They can't see very well, and other fish eat food faster than they can. Even when I put him alone because of feeding issues, I had to feed him bloodworms with tweezers, literally right in front of his nose. There were times I had to force feed him as well, as mean as it sounds but that was weeks without eating.

So yeah, give it a try, but be prepared to have a hard time feeding the bugger.