Is he dead?

Jun 21, 2009
So I noticed a couple of days ago that my yellow mystery snail was up side down. We let him be until this morning, I flipped him over. He has not moved at all, even when he was upside down. So do you think he died? Some of my fish seem to go up to him and poke at him which I have never seen them do before. He also seems to have some algae spots growing on him for the past month or so. Is that normal? I did have a sudden algae break out, and last weekend, when doing my water change, I wiped down the walls with a paper towel and changed the filter. The fish are fine but my snail seems...dead. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you...

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Is he closed up? He's probably just doing that hibernation thing that snails do. Mine do it all the time. Just leave him and as long as he's closed up tight, he's probably fine. If you notice his flap is open then he might have a problem.

Jun 21, 2009
He looks to be closed up tight, all sucked into his shell and the flappy is closed. I guess the algae on his shell is what's making me nervous, is that normal?