interesting experience with a pleco.

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
One of my bristlenose plecos was out of the water for about 30 minutes.

I was rearranging the rocks in some tanks today...  I began pulling the rocks out of the 40 gallon, and noticed the pleco was not in the tank..  hmmm. interesting I thought.  took a quick look in the box with rocks and nothing.  So, I continued to remove rocks..  (into a recycling box).  I might add I was taking my time..  then I went to wash some gravel.. and watch the fish in the 65... I moved some fish over from the 40 into the 65 and wanted to make sure they are ok.  

about a half an hour later, I put the rocks back in the 40..  and saw a little rock at the bottom of the recycling box..  wait, it was the pleco. just sitting there. I touched it, it jumped.  I picked it up by it's tail, dropped it in the 65 gallon tank and it swam away like nothing happened...    I sat back and watched for a while, it seems OK.

so...   if anyone ever tells you plecos are delicate I know otherwise :)

Oct 22, 2002
Ah, that was a bristlenose, they are not delicate.  But seriously, I believe some pl*cos can survive out of the water for short periods, and live in almost mudlike conditions.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Most fish can survive outside of water for a period of time provided you keep their gills and body moist.  Large, expensive imported kio and goldfish are shipped with nothing but wet newspaper wrapped around their bodies, and they seem none the worst for wear. It is the desication that can kill a fish, and the drying out of gill membranes that prevents O2 exchange.
~~Colesea

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
[quote author=Somonas link=board=bottomfeeder&num=1024195248&start=0#0 date=06/15/02 at 19:40:48]
One of my bristlenose plecos was out of the water for about 30 minutes.

I was rearranging the rocks in some tanks today...  I began pulling the rocks out of the 40 gallon, and noticed the pleco was not in the tank..  hmmm. interesting I thought.  took a quick look in the box with rocks and nothing.  So, I continued to remove rocks..  (into a recycling box).  I might add I was taking my time..  then I went to wash some gravel.. and watch the fish in the 65... I moved some fish over from the 40 into the 65 and wanted to make sure they are ok.  

about a half an hour later, I put the rocks back in the 40..  and saw a little rock at the bottom of the recycling box..  wait, it was the pleco. just sitting there. I touched it, it jumped.  I picked it up by it's tail, dropped it in the 65 gallon tank and it swam away like nothing happened...    I sat back and watched for a while, it seems OK.

so...   if anyone ever tells you plecos are delicate I know otherwise :)

[/quote]

LOL *laughingcryingsmiley* Poor fishie