info on ick medicine

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
One of my fish has ick and I bought some ick away medicine from the pet store and I read about how to put it in and everything but I'm not sure when to stop giving it to the tank. Should I do it for a certain time or until the white spots on the fins go away? Thanks.

Ryanp13

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
It depends on what brand you bought. The first time I had Ick in a tank I didn't treat long enough and lost the fish because I thought it was gone. After that I used the medicine till the Ick was gone. I also did 50% water changes daily while using the medicine. Remeber to remove any charcoal in your filter. With a power filter I just cut open the top of a new filter cartridge and dump the charcoal out and use it empty or put some amo chips in it for amonia control. 1/4 cup of chips for a 10 gal tank.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I have found the most effective way to treat is is to raise the temperature of the tank to 80-82 degrees (slowly, one degree every hour or two) and add salt to the  tank at a rate of 1 tablespoon/5 gallons.  You have to treat the main tank, not a hospital tank, or when you have treated your fish you will just be re exposing them to ick.  Treat them until you haven't seen spots for 10 days.

Jan