I'm so happy, I got a snail!

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
Like I said I'm really happy, and excited and all that good stuff. I'm not usually gushy but this is somthing special. I finally got a snail!! *BOUNCINGS (BTW, I can hear all of you out there saying "It's about time. Lol) He, or she I haven't chcked yet, is a really pretty, black brig mystery snail. I named him (I may as well call it a him) Jet and he really lives up to his name. All day I see him just crusing along the glass and plants eating like a madman. I gave him a piece of lettuce but he dosen't seem want it (I'm very surprised, snails adore lettuce!) He and my betta are best friends too, they like to sit side by side.
I do have a question though, sometimes Jet just floats in the water colum directly under the filter out-take. (I have a power filter, in case you were wondering.) Is this normal for a snail to do? I thought he might have a bubble under his shell, my friend Annie says he's scared and my Mom says he's just playing, anyone have any idea what he's doing?

Aug 20, 2005
Chazwick said:
Wow - I really want a snail too (Luckily my LFS have tonnes and actually give you them for free if you buy some fish and you want one! Because they're having 'multiplying' problems! :D).. When my tank is up and ready.. i think a snail will be the first resident :D
I want a snail but I'm paranoid about getting a pregnant one who will take over my tank with her spawns!

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Congrats sandtiger! :D They're loads of fun to watch when they're cruising up the side of the glass. My gold snail always looks like he's saying 'meow' when he's cruising :D

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
bridgesiis need two to tango, so one shouldn't take your tank over. They are very cool! I have a few of them scattered in my various tanks in a rainbow of colors. They love squash, btw. :)

Those pest snails that hitchhike in on plants etc are another story. ~Someone~ had to show the rabbits how it was done and snails precede bunnies by quite a few millenia ;)

Oct 16, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Visit site
Seleya said:
Those pest snails that hitchhike in on plants etc are another story. ~Someone~ had to show the rabbits how it was done and snails precede bunnies by quite a few millenia ;)
Oh-ho, tell me about it. Rommel39 had a few in his tank that came out of the well where he gets water. I thought it would be cool to have a few, now I have hundreds. I'm picking them out and putting them in the freezer, but I'll probably have to get a snail eater soon.

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
Update! I'm not sure but I think my snail's a male snail. He was fully extended today so I had to check and make sure (I hope that dosen't make me sound like a perv) and it looked like Jet was male. I hope so because one of my friends has a female brig and we're hoping to breed them.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Dove - you could probably get away with some neato loaches in that 55 - maybe striata or yoyo. Read up on them and see if that's something you'd like.

Another solution to a snail problem is to drop in some vegetable/fruit at night and pick it out in the morning, someone on MFT had an incredible picture of snails covering a piece of cucumber! Do a search for it, it's worth seeing. :)

One last solution to snails you do not want is to start a nice little puffer tank (single species) and use the bumper crop of snails to keep the puffers happy. Puffers are pretty neat fish but have very specific needs. There are a few puffer experts on MFT who could help you if that tickles your fancy.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
Usually if fish stores are giving away snails they are pond snails and I can't say this loud enough - YOU DON'T WANT NO DARN POND SNAILS IN YOUR TANK.

They are the type that people buy those snail killing liquids from the pet store for - see what i'm saying. You get one, you have a 100 in a month and they wreck havoc on planted tanks.

Chazwick said:
Wow - I really want a snail too (Luckily my LFS have tonnes and actually give you them for free if you buy some fish and you want one! Because they're having 'multiplying' problems! :D).. When my tank is up and ready.. i think a snail will be the first resident :D

No, Discus, they're beautiful 'ole Apple Snails (bright yellow/goldy little things).. I actually got one - it was only like £1... It's so flippin' lively it's unbelieveable! lol! It's pretty big - full size (they asked if i wanted a smaller one or a bigger one - i chose bigger!) - I let my little brother name him - It's now christened Sammi.