im not the only one that likes the goldies

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
today and everyday this is my dogs normal place in the house . he sits in amazement most of the day looking at the goldies. he is the greatest dog ever ad i think he would protect the goldies more than he would protect us.

Dec 15, 2006
nice tank but i think i got you beat lol my dogs and my two cats love to watch my goldies lol i will have some pics up soon 55g 4 bm 2spotted cats3 leopards danios10 creek chubs 2 platys 3 mollies 5 serpaes 2 calico fantails goldies 1 fancy fantails goldie and 1 pleco 10g 7 gold platys 6 mollies and about 20 or 30 guppies 45g 6 goldies

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
ok so you win

ok well i dont have as cool of a tank as you do but my i also have a pond that the dog sits with his head over this is only a temp home for the goldies hopefully i can talk my arents into getting some other fish for it in the spring

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I don't see a filter? Why is the water level so low? Most people recommend 20 gallons for one goldfish and then 10 gallons for each goldfish after that. It looks like you have 8? fish shoved into a 20 gallon with no filter??? Goldfish are very messy fish and need a lot of filtration. I hope you are planning on moving them ASAP, and in the meantime, you should be doing daily 30%+ water changes.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Ah, I see the intake tube now. It looks like it's too small a filter for that tall of a tank? It wouldn't even collect much junk if it's taking water off the top. When you feed them, the food must get sucked right in?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
pondnewbe said:
ok well i dont have as cool of a tank as you do but my i also have a pond that the dog sits with his head over this is only a temp home for the goldies hopefully i can talk my arents into getting some other fish for it in the spring
First of all, I think your dog is really cute. :)

Secondly, it's not about 'you win.' We know how hard it can be to keep fish in overcrowded conditions without harming their health or even losing them. You know from experience, I'm sure, how messy goldies are, how much waste they produce. Everybody here just wants you to have a good fishkeeping experience.

Maybe you'll get some money for Christmas (if you celebrate it, if not, my bad) and can find an inexpensive second tank (try craigslist and local ads), or at the very least, a way more powerful filter to deal with your goldies' waste products. In the meantime, you can do daily water changes and make sure the filter isn't getting all gunked up and clogged.

Don't get discouraged. Most of us here feel obligated to point out obvious problems we see with tanks. That doesn't mean that anybody thinks you don't care about your fish, and it sure doesn't mean that we don't want you around here. Much the opposite. The more we read and share, the better fishkeepers we can become. And every one of us can learn something from others, no exceptions.

EDIT: Here's an idea: How about a big ol' rubbermaid tub to keep your goldies in? A lot of people do this over the winter. You can just hang a filter over the side, and you could keep one or two of them in the little tank so you could enjoy watching them. It'd probably be a lot cheaper than putting in another aquarium, and come springtime when they go back to the pond, probably lots easier to store too.

Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
Thanks for pointing this out, homebunny; sometimes we can be a little harsh. I apologize if I sounded judgemental! They are beautiful fish, but you should consider some of homebunny's suggestions to keep them in good health.

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
well thanks guys

i know its a little less than ideal but its just for a month or so and the water is low because the water from the filter was splashing up on the canopy and algae was growing on it. its up some now. we figured that they would be fine there till spring and then by next winter we will have a deeper pond that they can stay in through the mild winters here. they probably could have made it through the winter here anyway but were working on the pond setup and by putting them in the tank for a month or two then we can have time to make the pond a lot nicer. then once we get our goldies then we will have a tank to put other fish in. thanks for pointing out what things we could do to make there stay more comfortable there. they seem to be doing fine right now how they are but we do do water changes quiet often sense they are such dirty critters. right now the pond is well on its way to looking and being a lot nicer home for these guys and maybe here in a couple months ill be able to look for a new group of fishies for our inside tank