I'm a little pissed at one of my boys

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
So, I decided to do even more tank juggling and got another 10gal to put my female bettas in as a temporary sorority until the 55gal gets up and cycled (have a lead on a free filter!). All seven girls are in the new 10gal and aren't entirely thrilled about it, but they'll live. I put the female guppies in the 29gal with the male guppies, the platies, and my son's betta, Gordon. With the 10gal that the girls and the female guppies were in, I divided it temporarily using plastic canvas that I anchored in the gravel.

At first, but I put my two CT males (Alec and Dragon) side-by-side and left James, my newest VT male, in the other section. I left for work yesterday with everything looking good. I came home from work yesterday to find that Alec and Dragon had ripped each others fins to shreds through the holes in the plastic canvas. So, I moved Dragon to the other divided 10gal with my two old VT males, Liam and Edward, and moved the younger VT male that was in there (Garrett) into the temporarily divided 10gal with Alec and James. Everything was fine when I went to bed last night. Alec was in the middle section, Garrett was on the far left and James was on the far right.

I woke up this morning to mayhem in that tank! James had somehow gotten in with Alec (I'm pretty sure he jumped the divider since the divider was still in place) and beaten him up further. I put James back in his section and have been keeping an eye on them all day. I just went in to check on them and found James chasing Alec around the middle of the tank AGAIN!*ALL* So, James got moved to one of the small tanks that still set up to give Alec some peace. Through this whole ordeal, Garrett has been completely ignored in his little section (even though he flares at anyone or anything that gets near his section). In fact, this last time I found James beating up Alec, Alec went and hid by Garrett's divider.

Anyway, Alec is not looking well at all. What can I do for him to help his fins grow back and get him healthy again? I put Melafix in with him (the tank is well-aerated, but not filtered as I don't have media for the filter I just got yet) and he's got 2/3 of the 10gal to himself (Garrett is still in his little section because he's innocent and hasn't made a move to hurt anyone, but I'm keeping a sharp eye on him and have another small tank ready just in case he decides to play nasty). The heater is keeping the tank at about 80F. The water is cycled completely and tests normal (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 20 nitrates). Should I do more WCs (as in every other day instead of weekly), or should I just continue to dose with the Melafix. He's going to get bloodworms every day (him and Dragon since both of their fins are ragged). It's mainly his anal fin and caudals that took the brunt of it (although his tail and dorsal don't look great). Thanks!