Idea for a filter system

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hey I have an idea for a filtration system. First start with an undergravel filter. Have the water come up through that, then to Rainbow Lifegard Mechanical and chemical modules, on to a UV sterilizer, and finally through a bio-wheel pro 60.
Whew! Do you think that would work alright?

Justin

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What size tank? The right sized eheim canister and possibly a uv if your set on it (pretty useless in a fw setup imo), will be cheaper and more effective than what you described above.

MbunaGal

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
communities.msn.com
I guess I don't understand.  Are you wanting to have this as one big "circuit"? ???  Anyways....  If you had the UGF hooked up seperate than everything else, that would work.  But from the way I read it, it sounds like you want to link them together or something.  Cuz the UGF uses an air pump and you'd need a water pump to pump it through the Rainbow stuff and through the bio-wheel.  But if you buy the water pump, you may as well get the rainbow/lifegard fluidized bed instead of the UGF!  Just my opinion, as that is the setup that I am going to purchase in the future!

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
The rainbow modules he was talking about do run through one another, one after the other.

I only ever heard of UV's on marine and ponds, I don't see why you need it for FW(as OBK said as well)

Unless this is a very big tank, why do you need the rainbow modules, when canisters work really well.

Eheim had a wet-dry unit, magnum350 had dual bio-wheels.

Hi MbunaGal---

Usually, unless the UGF is on a 10 gallon, you would not run airstones, but powerheads. Much more flow through the gravel. There is also reverse UGF, which is the "new" thing with UGF.

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Just to clear things up:

You know how you have to have a outside pump to pump water through the Rainbow lifegard modules? Well, what if instead of drawing water through bulkheads, or a siphon overflow, you drew it through an undergravel filter? Having the water filter through the gravel before entering the pump and filters would require less maintanance, because less solid waste would be able clog up the filter. It works good, because I have an eclipse filter running through an UGF with better results. Anyway, the water is pumped through the filter modules and then through a UV sterilizer. It enters back into the aquarium through a couple of biowheels. Do you kind of get it now? It is one continuous circuit. I thought that the UV would kill some of the harmful parasites and unsightly free-floating algae. And I've seen lots of UV's on freshwater aquariums. My main question in the begining was "Would it work, And is it a good idea?" I know there is much more practical, less expensive and equally good (if not better) filter setups out there. If my idea could work, do you think it would work good?

Justin

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Why is it that UV's are so impractical? Don't they prevent disease and such from flourishing in your aquarium? Thats what I had heard. Maybe the UV could go. The bio-wheels could probably go, too. And yes, somebody finally understands how the UGF is used in all of this! The UGF would filter the big stuff, and the RL Mech filter would "polish" the water removing the small stuff. Less maintanance/replacement of the micron filter cartridge in the RL Mech (I would think).

Justin