I'd like to try something...

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Anyone who knows how to use IRC, join #mft on irc.galaxynet.org:6662

I've spent some time hanging around in the AOL chat room that crops up from time to time, and I've found it frustrating...to say the least...

So, I would like to play around with getting an IRC channel up and running. If you know how to use IRC, please join up, if you don't know how, please let me know and I'll try to compile some intructions.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
For those who are unfamiliar with all this IRC stuff, it's basicaly internet relay chat. You have to use a program that will access a server network, then join a chat room on that server - in this case the room is called mft.

PC users (suckers) will need to download a program called MIRC - it's free @ mirc.com and don't worry about its trail status expiring - it never does. Once installed you will need to enter your server prefs (which server to connect through), in this case irc.galaxynet.org - and point it at port number 6662. When the prog connects to that server through that port,a list of rooms will come up - join a room called mft. The room may not show up if no-one is "in it".

Mac users (woo-hoo) need to download a prog called ircle from ircle.com
everything else is the same as the pc instructions. This program will expire in due course, unless you find another free one (there are several but not as good) or pay a pittance to register.

Not as simple to set up as it looks, but easy once you've done it.

JW - time scales ? - east - west - gmt etc - when are most people going to be there ?

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
some people (like me) might have to turn off their firewalls which some people (like me) do NOT want to do.

I prefer IM clients. I prefer PHPchats over that even. You will find there is at least 10 people who disagree with whatever you choose to use as a chat medium :D

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
You need a better firewall....

And Purple...I notice you left *nix users off that list... ;)

IM clients are great for just that, IMing...they weren't built for multiple people chatting, and the functionality they provide in that regard is lacking, to say the least, IMO.

As far as time frame's go...I plan on being on whenever I'm at my machine...but that's no defined schedule...stop by when you can, that's the only way we'll figure out who's gonna be on when.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
I dunno... I'm an "old-school" IRC user...so I can't stand the lack of structure in AIM chat rooms...everybody using different fonts and colors...it's impossible to read...

The nice thing about IRC is that you can use whatever font and color you want, but everybody else can choose to ignore it if they want.