Ich on Platies

prrashh

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
Two of my sunset platies got ich and I've been treating them with rid-ich that I got from LPS for the past 4 days. The ich seemed to come down in the first two days, but its back this morning. I did 25% water change everytime I added rid-ich, all other fish are doing fine.
Should I continue treating them with rid-ich or should I go for a new medication like quick-cure or try adding some salt??

prrashh

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
Will someone please reply?? The ich seems to have come down, but one platy still has a considerable amout of white spots. Should I remove him from the tank and treat seperately or continue treating the whole tank?
I read some where that aquarium salt should be used along with the medications, how often should I add the salt?

Aug 9, 2003
Northbrook, IL
Visit site
I'd just treat them with that ick medicine. Salt would work too, but im not sure how much to add, or if it can be used with other medicines. Oh, and try to get the sick platies to a different tank, because it isn't good for your fish to be exposed to ich or the medicine. Good luck

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Ick comes and goes in cycles. The white spots are untreatable, its when they burst and become free-swimming that they are vulerable to medication.

It might come and go for a few weeks, so treat the whole tank (no carbon right?) for at least a month. Skip the salt for now.

I have heard coppersafe works really well. I have also used Jungle Ick treatment too.