I stepped out of my box

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
well...that sounds like something wrong. I now have 4 guppies that have been in there for quite awhile now and are happily making babies :D (see my other threads about babies)

What do you mean you "fix" the ph? Screwing with the ph is something I would never suggest. My ph is high...and apparantly they're fine with it (now). The stress of moving from the petstore to your house...then having their ph change so drastically could kill almost any fish. I guess I've never heard of anyone drugging fish to move them...but I do know that moving them is stressful. If all the ones you got from petsmart die then maybe you should consider buying them from somewhere else? Out of the 4 I have currently, one is from a private store and 3 are from petsmart...so I think some of it is luck of the draw. Out of the ones that died 3 were from the private store and 1 was from a different private store.

MarkRW89

Large Fish
Aug 8, 2003
West Midlands, UK
Visit site
Hi.
I read somewhere that many of the imported guppies here in the UK (probably goes for US too) are particularly weak due to the inbreeding to get those fancy colour strains and that there was also a problem with a disease that affecting guppies in the large breeding centre in asia and the middle east. Sorry I cant remember what exactly it was but it was said to be responsible for the deaths of many recently bought healty guppies.

Sorry this post is a bit late..im new.

Jeril

Medium Fish
Aug 14, 2003
Greetings all.
I have also had some experience with guppies that are quick to die, froggyfox. I buy all of mine from the local Petsmart and I don't believe there are any other pet stores here in my area (I just moved).
The first bunch I bought were two fancies and a yellow (all male). Now, out of those three, my yellow guppy is the only one alive. I bought two more fancies (both female) four days ago and now only one of them is alive. :( I'm just having horrible luck with the guppies.
The rest of my fish are doing fine too. :confused: What is being done wrong?