I Need Help I Poured Way Too Many Brine Shrimp Eggs In My Tank!!!!!!!

Apr 13, 2003
South Dakota
Visit site
You'll want to vacume them out with your gravel cleaner.

I'm curious if you dumped one of those brime shrimp packs into your tank or if you hatched them and just put too many in.

if it was a pak that you dumped in, that means you've added some salt to your tank probably not a big deal.

next time though hatch your shrimp first!:D

good luck
sailfin

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
No...salt won't go away except through water changes. It shouldn't hurt the fish though, assuming you didn't put too much in.

I doubt that the brine shrimp will hatch in the tank w/o hatching in the salty warm water that those packages are meant to create. Petsmart has a great little thing that you can get for like 9 bucks that has helped me :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Oops...sorry :) I guess that was a little vague of me! (Sailfinmolly - at the time you posted that I knew nothing about brine shrimp...I think if set up correctly it could work)

The thing I got from petsmart is this little black box. I'm sure you could make one and there are DIY shrimp setups you can find online...but for someone like me this is great, pre made not expensive, no hassle :) You put the premixed package of eggs and salt into the black box...add water and stir well (until the salt dissolves) then you add the lid. The lid has a circle in the top where you put a little inverted jar. The jar has freshwater in it and has a hole in the lid. The brine shrimp hatch down below in the warm water and then they are attracted by the light through the hole into the collection jar in the top. Since freshwater is lighter than saltwater the two stay seperate and you dont have to mess with netting/rinsing the shrimp. You just take the jar, open up the lid and pour it into the tank and then refill the container and put it back upside down and collect some more. They're TINY! lol but the fish love them. I think by buying the eggs and salt seperately and finding how many eggs you need to put in there you could get a better yield (how many actually hatch) than what you get from the premixed packages...but hey, lol it has worked great for me. I'm on my 6th package right now, going home to feed the little guys as soon as I get off of this dang computer! lol

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
nope...I don't turn my filters off. The fish will know what they are and go for them asap. Of course if you don't pour them directly in front of the filter intake you'll have a better chance of most of them going to the fish :)