I Need Help Brown Algae!!!!!!!

LedMan79

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2004
Visit site
Hi, I have been doing fish tanks for about 4 years now. I have 10g, 20g, 29g and 75g. They are all fresh water tanks. I had them all setup and running at my old place with out any problems what so ever.. I moved to my new place 2 years ago. I just have my 75g tank setup. The inside of the tank is covered with brown algae all over the glass, gravel, plants, slate rock. I do my water changes every Sunday along with gravel sweep same time. My PH ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates are all normal. Three weeks ago I took everything out of tank and bleached my plastic plants, gravel, rocks, filters I mean everything. Started June 1st the brown algae started to come back.

(2) All-Glass Twin Light Hood each bulb is 15 watts
(2) All-Glass Single Light Hood each bulb is 15 watts
(2) Marineland Emperor 400 filters
(1) Marineland Magnum 350 filter (this runs for few days after my water changes)
100 pounds of gravel

Anyways I need help to keep the algae away. I need to know if I can buy something to keep it away or anything to help me.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
Otos seem to be the best pick for removing diatoms (most likely the brown algae you are describing). Diatoms are usually caused by excess silicates or, more likely, not having enough light. They also occur in newly set up tanks (and will likely go away on their own)...

CoNMaN

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Visit site
Sound like you know what you are doing. And with that I say sounds like you have tried everything, and nothing obvious is amiss.

I had a similar problem with red hair algae, but i found a few Siamese algae eaters and they took care of my algae problem.

LedMan79

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2004
Visit site
the tank is in my basement. there is one window on the other side of the room. the blind is always closed. when talking to l.f.s. they say my lights are on to much. they been off since sunday. they said i only need lights on for few hours a day becuase my tank isnt planted.

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
I had a bad brown algae outbreak in my 29 gallon last month. My white gravel was brown and it was all over the glass. I didnt use any chemicals though. I just kept the light off in the tank and scrubbed the glass with the magnet cleaner thing and did more frequent water changes.. Mine started to go away after 2 weeks. I dunno what to suggest though. Just wanted to share my experience with it.