I have some BETTA questions that need answers

Feb 5, 2010
In a big wooden box
So I've asked early and my ten gallon tank is big enough for a Betta, which brings me to more questions. With a ten gallon tank, can I add a filter, but will it disturb my Betta's swimming? I've had this before with my 3 gallon tank I was wondering if that would be a problem with my ten gallon. If that isn't a problem can I add a bubble air pump thing, I think it makes bubbles of air for the fish but will that disturb the Betta or not?

Now I have all those things, and I will be adding a heater never less because its hard to stay at the same temperature without those handy things in my home. Its always cold, so when I freeze Betta here won't and we don't want him too.

I would like to add decorations, and with my money I will probably buy quite a few, so my Betta had room to hide. I guess the rocks will be whatever I pick u, because I have rocks already but I just should use fresh ones so this Betta doesn't get sick from bad cleaning of the rocks, I clean with hot water, but its better to be safe than sorry.

Is this a good plan? Is there anything else I'm missing?

ChakaRaka

Small Fish
Dec 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Hi thealexisstrain,

As far as I could tell you were only asking about filtration and aeration. On a 10 gallon tank you have quite a few options for filtration. I don't see water turbulence being a big issue if you don't go too big on the filter. For a single fish I would think you can get away with pretty much a Nano HangOnBack power filter. But another great idea would be an AquaClear 20, both because the parts and media are available everywhere, the flow is adjustable and because it is a substantial enough filter to be used with another configuration or tank, (if you later upgrade or reconfigure).

I have an AquaClear 30 and a Bubble wand in my 10 gallon and although that is a bit much water movement for a Betta (I would think), it should be fine for what I am planning with my future community tank. You do not require any aeration for a Betta both because a HOB filter aerates the water to some degree already, plus a Betta is a "Labyrinth Fish" and will surface to breathe unlike many other fish.

So I'd get the Nano HOB filter (like a RedSea Deco Art Nano - $10) which is not really adequate for anything other than 1 fish in your current tank. Or the good old trusty AquaClear 20 ($20-25) and just turn down the flow. Then your Betta will have a nice clean, roomy environment in that 10g. With decent filtration (like the AC20) you could even add a few snails or shrimp to add variety. Hope that helps.

ChakaRaka.
*PEACE!*

Feb 5, 2010
In a big wooden box
That clears lots of things up. So if I get one I won't be using the bubbler thing, with is okay I didn't know if I needed it or not, but now that I know that I don't its good. The filter, is a Tetra Whisper, and I actually have too, a newer one and an older one because I've had fish in the past. I will see had the Betta works with the tank and ask any more questions if they come up.

And yet what kind of food do Betta's like, I've had one Betta and it was so stubborn it would only eat blood worms, is there anything else I can give him?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Hickari Betta Bio Gold is an excellent Betta pellet that should be fed every day (except one day during the week when you should fast your Betta and feed nothing)

Give it a tiny piece of frozen pea once a month to prevent any digestion problems...

I have an ecco 2232 canister filter running full blast on my 10 gallon tank with a Betta. the Betta is perfectly fine ;)
The aquaclear 20 is a great choice, just put a sponge pre-filter or a stocking over the intake so no fish get's sucked into it and trapped...

Also, terra cotta pots make great betta hide-outs, and they are very cheap.
Just to add to this, note that bettas are very curious and can/will get stuck in small openings in decorations. They can really injure themselves this way. :( So for small holes, like the ones in the bottom of terra cotta pots, you might want to jam a bit of filter foam or some other aquarium safe material in there to keep them from getting in and getting stuck. :)

With a ten gallon tank, can I add a filter, but will it disturb my Betta's swimming? I've had this before with my 3 gallon tank I was wondering if that would be a problem with my ten gallon.
I think filters are SO beneficial for bettas, just like any other fish, so if you have problems with filter current, instead of taking out the filter, you can try baffling the water flow. Putting a piece of filter foam in the filter output can slow down and disperse the current a bit. Also, putting lots of plants right under the filter output can help to spread it out. I've also seen cleaned plastic pop bottles cut and used as filter baffles. There's a bit more work to that one, but you can look it up and find instructions, I'm sure!

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
Hickari Betta Bio Gold is an excellent Betta pellet that should be fed every day (except one day during the week when you should fast your Betta and feed nothing)
I have fed Bettas the Hikari fancy goldfish micro pellet for years with no ill effects, the nutrition stats are almost the exact same, but the goldfish pellet is 1/4 the price.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
1/4 the price? **** I got ripped off!
I only paid $2.49 for the Betta Bio gold though, and it's only half gone now so I'm guessing it'll last me another half a year for 3 bettas...
No big loss. still interesting to know...never came across the goldfish micro pellets yet, but I'll be on the look out ;)