I found a deal and wanted a little help prior to purchase.

Here is what I found locally:

The only part that's homemade is the light- hoods are expensive, but
we needed something for the fish and plants. Anyhow, it comes
complete- aquarium, stand, light with extra bulbs (holds two), gravel,
two filters (one 'regular' that sits up on the back, the other is an
eheim canister filter with UV sterilizer), one bubbler, a pile of
chemicals, an extra 2 gallon if you need to isolate any of the fish, a
bucket or two, a couple of nets, the plant sin the aquarium, the
stumps in the aquarium (the two on the sides are permanently attached)
and about 20 tropical fish. We're asking $300 or best, and as in the
ad, if you know anyone with a male sugar glider, we could do some
negotiating.

I have replied that I would like to see it. Any input? This would give me two additional tanks and seems to have a good setup if it all isn't just old junk.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It seems a complete setup. Most commercial hood s are crud, so homemade might be good, might be bad. Tank - needs to be test filled . Stand - look at it - light ??
HOB filter + indestructible Eheim. The worlds best, most durable filter. Extra 2 gallon - useful.
Seems reasonable, you need to see it. The fish are a nuisance no doubt

HOB stands for hang on back and they usually call powerfilters HOB filters. I dont know if i'm blind but they never said the size of the tank... do you have any idea of how many gallons it can hold? It sounds like a nice deal because an ehiem is about $100, the UV is around $50, the hood is probably $100, and the tank is around $100 or more depending on size and the stand is $100 and that is the average prices usualy of the equitment new but the stand might be a bit more and the tank also. So i guess you found a pretty good deal, that is if everything works :).

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I might also be concerned about those "stumps" that are permanently attached on either side...if they look cool...neat...but if they take over the tank might not be as good of a deal. How does one permanently attach a stump to glass anyway??

If you dont mind those, and everything is in working condition, hood/stand aren't beat up..then it sounds like a good deal!

Update on 75 gallon.

For those who have given me advice, Thank you! I went and saw the tank and it was beautiful. The woman and her husband have kept really good care of it, but are moving to Michigan after having a baby 13 days ago. It was extremely clean and housed swordfish, guppies, mollies, platies, 6-8 neon tetras, a pleco, and 3-5 Cory cats. It also has abour 5-6 different plants that I could see. The filtration exceeded the amount needed for the tank and the woman, Emily who worked at Petsmart prior to having the baby, said that the filtration was setup so that I probably wouldn't have to wash out the canister cartridge for another 6-8 months. The two wooden pieces that were stated to be immovable, may or may not be. THe previous owner of the tank used J.B. Weld to adhere them to the bottom of the tank. However the middle piece has come loose over the past couple of years. I convinced my fiancee to just use this as an early Christmas and Birthday present and I would be extremely satisfied. After seeing the tank, she fell in love with the hobby herself. We put $50 down and we will be picking the tank up next weekend, when I return from a business trip! It is going to look so nice in our apartment. Now I just have to figure out where we are going to set it up at!?!? *BOUNCINGS