I am taking a walk on the wild side

Sunnie

Medium Fish
Jun 28, 2004
Nunya
Visit site
So i was in wal-mart the other day and I came across a tank with two spotted green puffers. They were so cute but so sad looking. They are small right now, 1 is about an inch long and the other is an inch and a half. I just finished cycling my freshwater AGAIN and I had only put one fish in there. A convict named Fred. Well Fred is now in my 10 gallon until I can figure out something for him and I have these two juvi spotted green puffers in this tank.

I am totally freshwater right now but I bought some instant ocean today and some frozen bloodworms.

I will probably be doing a water change on Sunday since that's when I got them and I will start converting to brackish.

I unthawed the frozen bloodworms and i dropped a few in the tank and at first neither of my puffers went near it. Well after a little bit of watching I noticed that one was eating them off of the sand. So i started putting them in on both sides of the tank (they have their own side) and they were just slirpin them up. I think i got a little carried away because my smallest puffer's belly is super round. I will be feeding them in another two days and I am going to try and find some shrimp. I haven't been able to find any around here ever to feed any of my fish.

They are starting to fight now so I can't wait until the tank in my office is cycled so that I can put Crunchy in it. I still also have some aquascaping to do BLAH!!! I didn't want to just leave them there because Wal-Mart sucks really bad with fish.

So any advice you could give me would be great :). I've done the research and all but I am still not sure what the heck i'm doing!

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Sounds like you are off to a great start :) What size tank do you have the 2 puffers in? The only negative thing I would say is that you are most likely not going to be able to keep 2 green spotted puffers together for very long as I'm sure you will notice as you said they are already fighting. My advice would be to really make sure you are breaking up their line of sight (meaning they shouldn't be able to see each other real well across the tank) with your aquascaping. Create lots of caves, nooks and crannies for them to investigate.

When you start to convert to brackish, make sure you do it slowly, only raising the SG about 1.002 at a time. You may know this already....but I have to say it.....never add the salt directly to the tank water when you already have fish in there. Pre-mix in a bucket. The straight salt can burn the fish.

You can also feed them freeze dried krill, snails, 'people' shrimp and clams. Live ghost shrimp are also fun if you can find them. Make sure they have lots of 'crunchies' in their diet. It's normal for their bellies to get pretty round....the thing to watch out for is if it's really lumpy they may have internal parasites, which can be treated with a medicated food.
Any other questions feel free to ask. Happy puffer keeping *SUPERSMIL

Sunnie

Medium Fish
Jun 28, 2004
Nunya
Visit site
To be honest, I've been doing my weekly water changes and the water is still fresh water at the moment. The LOVEEE blood worms and they aren't fighting at the moment. Hopefully my other tank will be cycled soon (fingers crossed.) I am going to be feeding them here shortly so maybe I can catch some pics of them!!! The one's i've gotten are pretty crappy to say the least.

Someone PLEASE help me with the whole changing my tank to brackish deal. I have been reading and reading but still not grasping how I am going to make this happen. I think maybe it's laziness or the fact that school, kids and work just make it hard.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Someone PLEASE help me with the whole changing my tank to brackish deal. I have been reading and reading but still not grasping how I am going to make this happen. I think maybe it's laziness or the fact that school, kids and work just make it hard.
Someone just recently started the conversion from a FW tank to brackish...here's the link that has tips on how to do it.

Welcome to the brackish world! :)

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/brackish-discussion/48784-tank-setup-help.html