how to tell if filter current is too much?

Jan 11, 2003
New Jersey, USA
I just got my fish fish for my 29g tank. It has a Penguin 330 filter that I used to use in my 55g tank. Since this tank is much smaller, what signs should I be looking at to see if the current is too much?

I have a blue gourami, 3 platies, and 6 bronze cories and will be getting 12 neon tetras once the tank is more established.

Feb 18, 2013
Substrate begins to move, fish cannot escape the suction line for the filter, fish are listless from exhaustion due to constant swimming. Fish will adapt and become stronger however new fish might take a while to adapt.

Feb 27, 2009
I always turn the flow down initially, and increase it a little each week after water changes, until I find the 'right' flow based on how the fish react. If I add new fish, I turn it down again and ramp it back up. Think of the flow as walking on a treadmill for us: At first 2mph is a good walk, but 3mph is too fast. As you gain fitness, you would find the 2mph too slow and 3 is just fine.

Also, take into consideration where your fish normally live in the wild. Those from fast-moving waters love current. Those in slower waters may like less.