How to control an algea bloo

Mar 3, 2016
Laguna Niguel, CA
I changed my media the other day and added water that had evaporated and all of a sudden my fish are breathing at the surface and my water is cloudy. I tested my water it checked out fine and so I added salt and this helped. They aren't swimming at the surface but still hanging out at the top. Also, I have done two 30% water changes. Any advice? ***after adding water, fish, new media, etc and after water changes I always add declorinator and quick start. I posted a picture, but the picture doesn't show how cloudy it actually is.
image.jpeg

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i think you had a bloom of some sorts when the media changed? usually fish gaping at the top is lack of oxygen? did you have an air bubbler? is the filter HOB? maybe need some surface agitation to get more oxygen into the tank.

Aug 7, 2016
I changed my media the other day and added water that had evaporated and all of a sudden my fish are breathing at the surface and my water is cloudy. I tested my water it checked out fine and so I added salt and this helped. They aren't swimming at the surface but still hanging out at the top. Also, I have done two 30% water changes. Any advice? ***after adding water, fish, new media, etc and after water changes I always add declorinator and quick start. I posted a picture, but the picture doesn't show how cloudy it actually is. View attachment 12865
Another water change scrub tank down and get quick start