how often!?

Feb 22, 2003
Rhode island...on a island
aaaaahahahaa i asked my lfs about testing the salt lvl in my brackish the salt lvls low its about 1.010 but the dude says he does not test it but my friend that has 2 brackish 30G's says he tests his tanks everyday? i would trust my friend more then the advice of the dude at the lfs but i was woundering what yoiupoeple think about this:confused: :eek:

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Well obviously you should test it now and again just to make sure your salinity doesn't get to high for a Brackish tank. But you're friend testing his everyday is way overkill IMO. I'm running a 77gal tank and I might go a month without testing it. I initially tested it after every water change, so that I could figure out just how much salt to add in to keep my levels approx. where I wanted them. But from everything I've read, a little fluxuation in salinity is natural and healthy for Brackish water fish, so don't lose sleep over it.

May 30, 2003
AR/IL/NY
Visit site
Yea, I agree with madhippoz. I test mine about once a week right now, but only because it's getting hot and I'm getting about .5gal of water evaporating every week. I also check that much because I just put some cichlids in my tank so I had to drop the salinity down.

Also whenever I do water changes mine fluxs, and my fish don't mind at all.