How often DIY CO2 supposed to bubble?

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
I set up a DIY CO2 system 12 hours ago and it only bubbles at a rate of 1 bubble every 20 seconds. Why do you think it is going so slow; what is the normal rate? Everything is airtight and the temp in my room is 70*F. I used 1/3 tsp yeast: 1.5 cup sugar. It's a 5 gallon tank also. thanks

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
How hot was water you filled the mixture with? Did you shake it well after done? try redoing mixture and use hotter water, i use water that is hot but not hot enough to burn me, just keep under 130 degrees or something like that for yeast, but when i use hotter water it bubbles quicker and keeps going.

My mixture bubbles constant stream at 1 bubble per second for two weeks then starts to die off for a week doing 1 bubble every 1.5-2 seconds then dies out fast, i replace my mixture every two-three weeks.

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
ok I redid the whole thing, putting 2 tsp yeast: 2 cups sugar. It bubbles once every 1.5-2 seconds after 4 hours.

Another question: My java moss has like a whitish film around it looking like mold or something(I know it's not mold, but that's how it looks) and it turning a dark green. I dosed with ferts yesterday (K & Fe) for the first time, and was wondering if this had something to do with it or if this is good.

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
Sounds about right, i do:

1 cup of sugar, 2 pinches of yeast, and fill up with warm-ish water.

I get about 1 bubble every 5 seconds.

But after a week or two it gets allot slower and at that point i redo it.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
my mixture is 2 cups sugar 1 tsp yeast for a 29 gallon tank, plants seem to be growing well, i have thought of doubling the CO2 output but since tank seems ok i leave it alone for now.

Note: if and when you start seeing brown algae, it is diatoms if easily wiped off... they will clear naturally on their own if conditions are good. So don't freak out if you start seeing brown in tank after getting mixture right and tank started with plants