how much support?

fishbone

Small Fish
Nov 9, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
When I saw first time these framed tanks, at the bottom and top, it seemed to me that the only support I need is at the corners of the tank and that is how I build my stands. I have an 110g tank sitting on 4 3.5x3.5 posts and soft pine 3/4-inch thick wood. No spanning 2x4 to support the tank between the posts. Is that or was that a correct assumption?

Oct 22, 2002
san diego, ca
wood, even something like pine, has an amazing strength end-to-end. i assume you mean that your stand looks a little like a table, w/ four posts and a solid piece on top? something like that should hold, but you may have problems with the wood of the legs buckling slightly over time, and a brace around the legs halfway down or so would quickly solve that problem. you wouldn't really really need pieces to go under your solid top, but being just a tad paranoid, and with a tank that big, i'd put a few anyway. i mean, better safe than sorry, when sorry is 110 gallons of water on your floor, right? :)

another thing to consider is that, often with tanks that size, people will build their stand with six legs -- a pair in the middle. this would also offer added stability and strength.

fishbone

Small Fish
Nov 9, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
Almost like a table without the solid top. The top is made out of pine wood frame only under the tank’s frame so other way I can see from below the sand inside the tank. And I did build sides to it as well like you say to protect it from buckling sideways or forw/bacward. It seemed to me that there is no need for additional support under the tank between the posts except to make the stand like a big cabinet.
Just recently I realized as well that the beams under the floor are parallel with the tank and so there is some kind of swivel forward when stepping on the beams next to the tank. It is quite complex to find the right spot without having the tank next or in front of a window.
Thanks.

Eire

Medium Fish
Nov 26, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Well, a 110 gallon is heavy...and 2-3 pounds/gallon is too low. One litre is one kilogram, so that when you do the math, one gallon is about 10 pounds. So, a 110 gallon tank would be over 1000 pounds, just with the water, ignoring everything else. Then you have probably 1 pound of gravel per gallon (just a guess) with odds and end that also add to the weight. It just adds up quickly. I have a 27 tank on a built-in desk in my room, and since we weren't sure that it would hold, I reinforced it and then my brother and I sat on it awhile...all 340 pounds of us.