How many otos for 20G?

Jul 15, 2008
Texas
I have a 20G with 1 male guppy, 3 platies, and 2 cories. I want some otos, but I am not sure how many to get. Would 2 or 3 be ok? Don't want to overstock my tank.. Thanks!

Feb 27, 2009
I keep 5 in a 20long aquarium with more mid and upper level swimmers. They like to be in groups so I'd do 3 at least if it were my decision. Just make sure they are indeed Oto and not some other type of fish. Many stores have Chinese Algae Eaters labled as Otos, and that is an altogether totally different fish.

Make sure you get individuals that have a plump stomach at the store. Because of the way they are often collected/transported, they can have a hard time recovering if they have not been eating well.

Jul 15, 2008
Texas
Funny that you mention that.. Last night I was at Petsmart picking up some dog food and wandered over to the fish to see what they had.. I saw some of what were labeled otos, and almost bought some since the fish and tanks are always well kept there. I decided against it because they just looked "odd" to me and came home to find that they were indeed Chinese Algae Eaters.. Whenever I see some "real" otos though I will be sure to pick 3 or 4 up.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
I agree that many of the otocinclus seen in stores are in poor shape and are often starving, The Otocinclus needs plenty of algae ,It's primary food ,to remain healthy. They do poorly in newly established tanks for that reason. A healthy otocinclus's belly in my view, should resemble the end of a Q-tip. Given Tanks with plenty of algae,and stable water parameters, they will thrive. They are sensitive to sudden changes in the aquarium and through my own observations, do poorly in water with High nitrAte levels. They do not harm plant's ,but will rasp on dying or dead leaves. Some of these little fish will accept vegetable flake and algae wafers but not all of them will. Much better to have sufficient algae growth or plants for these little fish. Hope some of this helps.

Feb 27, 2009
petco labels otos as otos......so maybe try there if you have one...
Not all Petco stores are run the same. One in my city had otos, chinese algae eater and siamese algea eaters all in one tank (well, the plexiglass divided tank walls), and labeled as "Chinese Oto Algae Eaters." I kid you not.

I bought my original 5 there last year for one of my planted tanks, but insisted that I catch the ones I wanted. The guy in charge of the fish said they were just different 'batches' which is why the looked different and even insisted they could interbreed. They were being fed algae wafers and sinking shrimp pellets. All the ones I brought home are still going strong and I had no losses, so I can't complain about their health.

Just wanted to caution the post starter to just make sure they are indeed otos if that's what they want. I think the SAE would be ok in their set up, but not a CAE.

Jul 15, 2008
Texas
Just wanted to caution the post starter to just make sure they are indeed otos if that's what they want. I think the SAE would be ok in their set up, but not a CAE.
Thanks! Yeah, I read up on the little boogers and a SAE is NOTHING I want.

I will not be making any trips to any Petcos because around here they are all trash.. That Petsmart takes very good care of their fish, but I guess just can't always label.. :)

Thanks everyone!

Feb 27, 2009
Thanks! Yeah, I read up on the little boogers and a SAE is NOTHING I want.

I will not be making any trips to any Petcos because around here they are all trash.. That Petsmart takes very good care of their fish, but I guess just can't always label.. :)

Thanks everyone!
Best way to make sure is to take a photograph of an Oto with you. That's what I did years ago, to make sure. If you use google, go to the images section and print one of an Oto, a Chinese Algae Eater and a Siamese Algae Eater (the three most common seen). That way you can pick out the 'real oto' when you see it the easiest!