How hard is it to do brackish?

Oct 22, 2002
its easier to do brackish than marine...
marine fish need the salt.....
brackish fish just like it.... they can live in fresh....but live happier and healthier in brackish....
just get a hydrometer ( to measure the salinity) and anything under .2 should be fine....
maybe .05-.15 I would guess....

and it doesn't have to be so precisise as with marine...

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Do you have other fish in your tank? Most Brackish fish can acclimate to freshwater, but it doesn't usually work as well in reverse. Many true freshwater fish may not do well at all in a Brackish tank.

As for how easy it is, buy the hydrometer as suggested, you just have to make sure that when you do water changes you also add more salt. But you can't just dump the salt in, you have to have at least one bucket of water to add your salt in, put in an airstone, and let it sit for a while to help dissolve the salt. Other than that, just add and remove water as you normally would. Make sure that you are using a type of Marine Salt like that needed for salt water tanks. "Aquarium Salt" that comes in the milk cartoon is a salt tonic for freshwater, and will not make your tank Brackish.

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
I would recommend getting some ocean water from your LFS and mixing it 50/50 with fresh water.

as for salinity geoff forgot a zero.. i would go .010-.015

I think the hardest part of a brackish tank is acclimating your fish. Personally i have never seen a brackish tank at my LFS, meaning the fish are all sold as fresh water. Just take your time and do it slowly

Last edited: