hothothot!! the temperature is boiling my fish!!!

Oct 22, 2002
i m using a threometer which sink at the bottom of my tank, i usually hide it at the corner. n the water temp. is always hothothot 81-83F . n i m having tiger barbs (68 to 79 F) , platyz (64 to 76 F) i wonder, should juz put an ice pack to cool down the water temp... will it be too cold at the surface but warm down the bottom, which make my fish frozen (tooo cold) ? :-/

R

ronrca

Re: hothothot!! the temperature is boiling my fish

Does the temp come down at night? The temp isnt too hot yet! You have to remember that we are talking about tropical fish. The temp does get hot in their natural habitat sometimes. If your fish are not getting stressed like swimming at the top or not swimming at all, I would not worry about it. The important thing is to monitor the ammonia level and make sure that it has a lot of oxygen. Ammonia is more toxic at higher temps and water holds less oxygen at higher temps.

Oct 22, 2002

:eek: o no!! my platyzzz r always on the top they have been like that for a very long time ( since they r added in the tank) !!! n my barbs r not as active as b4...  :'( wut can i do for them?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky

Does your heater not have an adjustment swithch? If it doesn't then just get a new one. You have the ten gallons don't you? A heater for that is just like $10. I think you should get a new heater. ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky

NO HEATER! And the temp is that high ??? Where do you live equidor ??? ;D If they seem happy then don't worry. ;D

Oct 22, 2002

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
i live in Los Angeles, California~!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i think they r stressed at the afternoon... i dunno wut to do could help cooling down the temp. without put in ice pack which will freak out the fish... i think they r stil stress at nite too.. tiger barbs r not swimming happily they stay at the corner of the tank... they r not swimming... sometimes they even look like they r "shaking"... :'( :'( :'( but my platys r happy at nite.

r there n e medicine for them to feel happiler? less stress??? :-/

Oct 22, 2002

oh wellz... they do swim a little in a small area... SLOWLY!!! they don't swim around in the tank...  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

R

ronrca

First of all, check the water condition like ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph etc. Check your filters. How old the the tank? Even if the tank is established, check the parameters anyways. Second, do a water change. Make sure the water is only a few degree cooler. Adding an icepack will certainly help but be careful that it does not cool the water down to quick. Third, leave the lights off and the lid open or even take any lids off. The best would be to place a screen over. Barbs can jump.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky

Yeah take all the hood and stuff off of the top of the tank. Then add the ice pack. That won't hurt the fish as long as you don't let it get to cold in there. I would also check the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Is this in the new tank you just set up? If it is it might not be cycled. Just let us know the parameters. ;D

Oct 22, 2002

:'( wellz.... i m soo broke after buyin the gravel. so my new tank is not even set up... well.. guess my fishy have to stay in the old one for a while... :'(   o yea, i made a water check, it is shown that my water is too hard... n it is 250ppm... which brand's medicine is the best for that?
n also i hae some kinda pills " correct pH 7.0" from jungle... i put one pill in,.. a;ready, so..
o wellz, now wondering, if pills r better or liquid better?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002

California water is pretty hard but most of the LFS have fishes very accustom to it already and it really doesn't matter for the fish at this point, IMO.  Changing the pH too drastically with medicine but stress out the fish too.  Quit buying all these fancy medicine and chemicals and deal with the basics such as good aeration and filtration.

Oct 22, 2002

:eek:good aeration and filtration?
o wellz.. i have a filter n i wash it everytime when i change my water. what is aeration???  :eek:
and.. do i have to take out left food everysingle time i feed them?  :eek:

As long as you are not overfeeding you do not need to remove excess food every time.
Always wash out your filter media with tank water.
Aeration= the introduction of air via an air pump and air stone.
Sounds like you need to learn the basics of fishkeeping, find a good book and read it. 8)

R

ronrca

Measure the hardness of your tap water. If it is lower than your tank, something in your tank is increasing the hardness or you are not removing the hardness when doing a water change (just replacing evaporated water). If that is the case, start doing 25% water changes every 3 days until hardness comes down. Make sure that when you siphon the water out, you siphon from the bottom to remove the hardness(so Im told). If it is something in your tank, find what it is and remove it. If it is the gravel, you will have to replace it (that sucks). Stay away from chemicals to adjust your water. Keep it natural. By introducing chemicals, you can drasticly change the properties of water thereby possibly killing your fish. There are many webpages with excellant info about keeping water. My favorite has been www.notcatfish.com

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky

[quote author=tinylittledice link=board=equipment&num=992908661&start=0#10 date=06/20/01 at 16:44:03]
:'( wellz.... i m soo broke after buyin the gravel. so my new tank is not even set up... well.. guess my fishy have to stay in the old one for a while... :'(   o yea, i made a water check, it is shown that my water is too hard... n it is 250ppm... which brand's medicine is the best for that?
n also i hae some kinda pills " correct pH 7.0" from jungle... i put one pill in,.. a;ready, so..
o wellz, now wondering, if pills r better or liquid better?
[/quote]What else do you have to buy for the tank ??? If you have the gravel and the tank that's enough isn't it? Or do you not have a filter? Just wondering. ;D

I think your fish will be fine as long as it doesn't get to much hotter than it is. Did you try the ice pack? ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky

Okay so you have the tank, filter, & gravel. As you have said your tank is very hot so do you think you really need lights? I don't think you have to have them since your tank could do good without a hood on it right now with the temp being to hot. I would start letting your tank cycle and then add your fish to it! That way your tank won't be so crowded. I wouldn't worry about the plastic plants to much though. Maybe you could move some of your old decorations to your new tank instead. Just a thought. ;D

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania

My water is off the charts....I think my water heater needs a flushing. It has always been off the scale in ppms..I dont do a thing....you shouldn't either at this point.

leave the lights off durring mid day.
Make sure you vaccuum with water changes.
Aerate a lot as mentioned.

What filter do you have?

Oct 22, 2002

::) goood idea!
my stupid 10 gallon tank broke... i think its becoz i move it around too often... n the glass can't stand the pressure of the heavy rocks n gravels...
dang! so i moved my fish to my 15 gallon tank without n e cycling... :'( the water is sooo cloudly... n i hate the light... i hate white light...  wellz... at this point... bless my fishyz won't die since i didn't cycle the tank...  :-[ :'( :'(
fitler.. umm i m using pengeuin mini activated carbon power filter ;D