Home Made Sump Filter for Large Tanks!!!

mrliltank

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have figure out, in my head, what I think will work:

I need a filter for a 55 gallon tank. THey range from $41 (plus $hipping), on up to $100+. I THINK i can build one from materials i have and will have.

MATERIALS:
  • 8-10 gallon aquarium (go with glass, no need for poly unless you wanna build yourself and have some handy) - 10$
  • A few sheets of that filter gauze/floss stuff (1/4" to 1/2" thick) to fit agains the sides and bottom of your filter tank. Must fit SNUG! - 10$
  • 20' or so of tubing (match tubing to powerhead..) - 4$
  • Powerhead...anything that flows 200gph on up should work - 25$ (i had one)
  • A small box of BioBalls - 10$
  • Some established gravel and water - Had it$
  • Activated carbon - 5$?
  • Tank dividers - 10$ or so
    This adds up to about 75 bucks, but you might have a lotta this stuff...liek carbon, dividers, a powerhead, etc...

Basically, divide the tank into 5 or so sections. Then, add your gravel to the base of each section. Where the water is to ENTER, place a piece of that gauze agains this chamber's divider. This provides your first mechanical filter. In the second and third chamber, put in some bioballs...this could be one big chamber i guess. Fourth chamber- line both sides w/guaze, pour in activated charcoal. THis provides, along w/ BioBalls, some biological filtration. In the last chamber, place your powerhead, with variable flow control, with tubing back to tank. Set up, let run for a while. This might be incomplete, but i THINK it'll work.

mrliltank

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Is this for when too much comes in and not enuff goes out? THere are some Eheim pumps (i think) that have variable water flow, this will limit the overflow effect...and what is a 'drilled tank'?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The easiest way to make your own filter is to have an overflow or a hole drilled on the back or the bottom of your tank.  If you do not want it drilled, then you can buy an overflow box.

Just make a sump (10 gallon tank) and you can put anything in your sump as filtration media.

Needed equipment:
Overflow box  $30
10 gallon tank or a rubber maid container $5-10
Return pump $20-$50
PVC or clear tubing $5-$20

Put anything in to the sump and it will be your biological filter.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=mrliltank link=board=diy&num=1024446027&start=0#4 date=06/18/02 at 18:38:49]
Can't a siphon or small powerhead replace the drilling holes in tanks stuff? Once a siphon is started, it WILL NOT stop
[/quote]
What kind of siphon are you referring to?  An overflow box contains a siphon too.  If you do not have the box, your tank will continue to siphon and dump water onto your carpet.  You will need some kind of box with notches to prevent this.

mrliltank

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
So the box only feeds in water when the tank has enuff in it? the return pump should be fast enuff to compensate, and when perfectly (or at least CLOSELY) matched, voila...right?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
http://www.galaxymall.com/animals/aquariumcrazyfish/filtwetdry.html

An overflow looks like this.  The siphon is in the box to prevent major floods and skim the surface of your tank.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=mrliltank link=board=diy&num=1024446027&start=0#8 date=06/18/02 at 18:44:49]
So the box only feeds in water when the tank has enuff in it? the return pump should be fast enuff to compensate, and when perfectly (or at least CLOSELY) matched, voila...right?
[/quote]

The water that goes from the tank from the overflow box will match perfectly how much you pump back.  However, the pump flow should be less than the flow of the overflow box's rate.

Let's say you overflow has a 1" hole/piping.  A 1" hole will have a capacity to put down water to your sump at a rate around 600 gph.  You will need a pump that is rated less than 600gph.  If you have a pump that is 800 gph then your tank will overflow.  On the other hand, if you have a pump that is 500gph, then your overflow will bring water down at 500gph.  600 gph is the maximum flow that will come down to your sump.

mrliltank

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
But LIKE I SAID, if you just put a siphon tube 1 or 2" down into the tank, into the pump,a nd then vary the RETURN rate (with a pump = or > the siphon), then you can have it matched enuff not to overflow

mrliltank

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
So how bout this for an overvlow box:

1 qaurt rubbermaid container, slots cut 3/4" or 1" down into it

Siphon tube going in to the very bottom of those marks

Submerse bottom tips of slots into water

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Tell me something:
1:  What if a fish or plants get stuck in your siphon tube?  Your pump from the bottom still keeps on pumping and it will overflow your tank.  That is what a skimmer box is for.
2.  Secondly, do you want to start the siphon everytime if the siphon breaks or if the powerhead stops?  WIth an overflow box, the siphon is not lost.
3.  Hard are you going to ensure the siphon doesn't move in the tank if it's flexible tubing?  Are you going to use rigid PVC?

mrliltank

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I FINALLY GET IT! THe key is in the height of the U pipe. If the second box has toomuch water, NO MORE enters. BUT..how does ti get going again? Only thing to happen is more water goes in the tank...doesnt this = and overflow anyway?