HidIng betta

JinXgirl

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Scotland
I've had a male betta for about 2 weeks and he was originally in the same tank as the female. I suspected he was getting bullied by her as his tails and fins seemed a little ragged and he suddenly started chasing her around the tank...so now the female is gone and don't think that theres anything else in there that would bother him... but he's hiding under a rock, swims up to the surface and around for a while and then goes back under the rock.... so is he sick or just scared? Could he just not be used to not having the female around bullying him anymore and come around out of it once he builds up confidence? or is there something else in there that is bullying him too...
Harlequins, mollies, guppies,pakistani (yoyo) loach, sucking loach, pleco and dwarf frog.
should i get him a tank of his own? and if so does it have to be a heated one? i remember reading somewhere that as long as the room temp is fairly warm they'd be fine...
I really love the little guy & want to see him happy and not hiding and miserable!! please help!!

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
the molly could be bullying him...i doubt the rasboras or the frog are, but you never know...as to your other fish i have no idea

regardless, it sounds like hes not happy in there for whatever reason...if it were me i'd get him his own tank

bettas are fine without a heater but imo they do better with one, but if the room temp is warm he should do well

good luck and keep us updated on how hes doing:D

--liz:)

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
betta misses his G/F. get a divided betta tank (2.5's are pretty standard around me) and leave them together, but separeted by the divider. I have bred and raised many, many bettas, and I have seen this before.

Mar 11, 2003
The minibow 2.5 gallons are great little tanks. I have my opaque male Koopa in with an ADF, Mario. I am thinking about getting another ADF. So if your betta is love sick, you can put in the divider that comes with the kit (includes: tank, micro filter, divider, and light.) This is my favorite set up, even more than my 10 gallon! And you can set the filter on the lowest setting for the betta, since currents usually upset them.

Alexa

JinXgirl

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Scotland
Do you really think he's love sick? wow now I feel guilty... i felt guilty when she was there as she bullied him and now i feel guilty that she's gone... today he's swimming about more and has come out from under that damn rock!! I am wondering if theres something wrong disease wise i the tank as theres been some funny goings on... i'm off to check the sickness database as i've never had sick boys before...
as for the molies bullying him i doubt it with these two, they are greedy guts but they always stay well out his way and almost seem to grovel when he's around them... but i'll keep an eye.. looks like i might have to get that other tank!

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
my bettas love caves to hide in while they sleep and rest and yours my be the same.but i would definely move the betta away form the mollies,guppys and yoyos all of those fish are too gregarious for bettas and may target him because of his fins and that may be the cause of hiding,undue stress from harassing fish.