Hey, My Lemon Tetras Spawned!

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
They started spawning behaviour on Monday, but no eggs.  Today I got up and there was all this white stuff in there.  My first thought was what in the heck is going on now?!? Then I saw little clear balls all over my driftwood. Eggs!  The material that I have found on this says they will spawn every four days, so I may set up a tank and see if I can get some fry.  

If have raised three sets of cichlid fry, but had never seen the actual spawn, just the mamma cichlid with a bulging mouth.  This is pretty cool.  The male Lemon tetra chases the female up and down the tank, and then into the plants where they press thier bodies together.  The eggs and sperm are broadcast over the plants.  Then the other fish in the tank start looking for them.  They did this for four hours.  As of now, there are no signs of eggs anywhere in the tank.  The male is more silvery gray during the spawn, while the female stays more yellow.  He also has more black in his dorsal fin.

Anyway, thats it. Hope I haven't bored you too much, just wanted to share my excitement.  I guess I am doing something right!

Jan

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
wow! congrats! i haven't had the experience of my fishbreeding but if it's as exciting as you just described it  (haha) i can't wait. wait..maybe i should get some fish into  my tank first! hahaha.

let us know what happens!

Dangerous

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
i had some convicts that had eggs but they all got destroyed =( so now i dont keep pairs because the convicts got all terroritoral and wiped out my firemouths,and jack dempseys by the time it was done all i had was the bigger convict

dont complain to much this was my first tank setup ever besides everyones first annoyance of goldfish

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
That's great!! You must do extra good water changes. It is so cool to see the tetras spawn. I'v had my black neon tetras and black skirt tetras spawn over the years. I was shocked when the rasboras spawned. I couldn't tear my self away from the tanks. The blue neons have started to spawn lately in my 33. They don't seem to fly around the tank like the black neons or your lemmons do though. Good luck trying to raise them though.Cichlids are so much easier to raise. I tried to raise some of the black skirt tetras when they spawned. The eggs hatched in the 33 and I sucked them out with a siphon. Everything was great till I started to feed.Ha, not an easy feat. No luck, but it was great trying. One way to catch some of the eggs is to put some small fruit juice glasses in the tank where the tetras are throwing their eggs. Some will land in them. Then all you have to do is take them out. Have fun!