Hey arcab, other electrical/plumbing stuff.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hey arcab,

This is in regards to electrical stuff that you should get for your SW tank.  I mentioned before that I have a 45 gallon reef tank and I was constructing my 120 this week.  Well I was lucky today because my powerstrip almost caused a fire because a RIO pump malfunction and usually those RIO pumps have no ground.  The RIO's prong burned the entire powerstrip causing a massive black cloud in my room.  I turned off all the plugs and I am hoping that the corals all live.

Well anyways, I bought a GFCI to install in my 120 but I never had a chance to install it on the 45 G.  I guess I was lazy but I lucked out that it happened before I went to bed.  I will not make the same mistake again.  So, please get a GFCI install or get one of those GFCI you can plug into the wall.  It will save you and your tank.  I read all those stories about GFCI in reefcentral and bought the GFCI but never installed it and now I know what they mean.

Secondly, buy a ball valve for your return line and input line for your pump.  This will allow you to take out the pump for maintenance.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
thanks for the advice. yeah..i had rios at first..but after doing more research..realized that they weren't good to have..so i returned them. one thing i've learned is to do alot of research before buying. i've returned ALOT of stuff already. haha.

is the GFCI the same thing as a grounding probe?

where do i put the ball valve? input line?

thanks.!

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Here is the grounding probe/GFCI discussion.

http://www.myfishtank.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=equipment&action=display&num=1006900211

You can put either ball valve in both input and output line.  But I am just going to put it in the output line for now.  It appears that everytime i do maintenance, there is always water in the output line when I detached the tubing from the pump.  This somtimes create a back siphon that floods my floor.  You might not need one given that you have it in sump pump?  But mine is an external pump so one is a must.