help

yvonne

New Fish
Apr 27, 2012
hi to all im new to the site. i have a blacl moor hes 5 years old and an only fis except for a phcosimous its a 20 gallon tank. last week his one eye swelled up to twicw the size. it seems to be getting worse. he is eating but im worried he is suffering. is there anything i can do for him? i feel so bad for him. his name is popeye. thanks for any help anyone can give yvonne

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Hello and welcome. These types of things can be from trauma, like impact from something he ran into or due to water quality. Most times with water quality it would be both eyes but not always. With goldfish its very important to do water changes of about 25% every week. A 20 gallon is a bit small for a Black Moor and plecostomus, just the goldfish alone needs about 30-40 gallons and the Plecostomus need a 70-125 gallon tank depending on the breed, they get really big!! If you are not doing water changes weekly it would be reasonable that his eye is due to water quality. I would say its pop eye, you need time and a good amount of water changes to fight this or a medication from the pet store that is a gram negative antibiotic. Here is an article web site for you to read: Flippersandfins.net Pop-eye article

yvonne

New Fish
Apr 27, 2012
ty for your help ill get right to the store to check out the medication and will do more water changes.its good to now i may be able to do something for him. thanks agaim yvonne

yvonne

New Fish
Apr 27, 2012
oops replyed to myself i think lol anyway ty for the help i had so treatment hand started it right away i hope it works thanks again for the help yvonne