help!

Jun 1, 2009
Rhode IslANd
So last night apperntly some moron drove into a poll. In turn the whole block lost power for about 6 hours. From 11pm to 5am this morning.
Needles to say my 20gallon nano was powerless. Most of the time it had no power I was in bed absoultly clueless. I woke up at 5am today and my clown fish was dead, my coral banded shrimp was dead, and about 3 snails are dead. I had to rush to work so I'm not sure if there's any more life lost.

My question is how worried should I be about my remaining life. I mean I got everything up and running again b4 I left for work. Alls I have left living in there is an emerald crab a handfull of snails 2 hermits, and about 7 corals.

I know everythings up and ruunning again but I really don't wanna go home to a lifeless tank.

Everything that died was healthy and active and eating jyesterday. My parameteres are all perfect(well yesterday afternoon they were)

Any thoughts?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Sorry to hear about your losses. :(

Check your ammonia levels as soon as you can. It's possible you have a spike, which could kill the rest of your livestock. If you do have ammonia, do a water change and keep monitoring the ammonia until it's at zero again.

Often when the power goes out, the lack of oxygen will kill the fish. If a fish dies, then the ammonia starts to kill other creatures.

Corals aren't bothered by a lack of oxygen, but the ammonia will bother (and possibly kill) them.

Jun 1, 2009
Rhode IslANd
ok all i need some answears, b4 my delema my levels were perfect they were
ph between 8.2 and 8.4
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
amm 0

now for some messed p reason there
ph 7.8
nitrite .5
nitrate 80
amm .25

this is absoultly horrible and i can notice my corals not opening up and even a lil die off. im getting gree spoted alage on the sand bed. what do i do?

Jun 1, 2009
Rhode IslANd
my temp on my dsiplay tank is 81 and the ph is 1.32
i really dont know whats going on. my first instainct is a water change, however my fish store with ro water is closed i figure i can just go buy bottled water from the stop and shop or whatever.. any opinons on how much water. on only a 20g i dont wanna go too drastic..

also several months ago i came across some live rock for free. i had no room for it so i decided to buy a ten gallon and put the rock in there with water(i was thinking maybe qt tank), its just been sitting there for about 2 months i just checked the paramaters the on that tank and
ph 8.2
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
amm 0
temp 74
sg 1.26

overall the water conditions are better i know the nitrate is still to high, do u think i should just pull water from that tank?