Help!

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
One of my tiger barbs is gasping for air at the surface of the tank and there is some sort of flem or fungus build up behind his gills. I think it has to do with the ammonia in the tank, which could have been stirred up by me changing the water today....Help.

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
What are your water tests showing for levels? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and water temp. A photo of the gills would also help if possible.

Also, are you giving the tank plenty of air? This would be unrelated to something behind or in the gills, but it might help it breath a little better if you get more oxygen into the water.

I'm not sure I can help much, but getting that information up will give you a better chance of someone recognizing the problem.

Last edited:

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
Yes. I have plenty of filtration and airation... and i also read that if a black lining was to appear around the fins, that it may be because of toxins in the water.... including nitrite and ammonia. i have a strong feeling this was caused by my water changes which may have caused rising ammonia levels... i'm going to check the water params and get back to you guys. Thanks. Once again if anyone can help please do so quickly.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
So I agree, it does sound like some kind of toxin. But a water change shouldn't cause ammonia (unless it's in you tap water anyway). That's why I was asking about the Dechlorinator and bubbles (that would indicate H2S gas), to me it sounds more like a chemical burn than anything else. Could also be nitrite, at highlevels it reduces the fish's bloods ability to carry O2. That said though I don't recall seeing any slime build up around the gills in NO2 toxicity cases. Either way doing the tests is a good thing.

Gill Parasites are definitely a possibility if he is the only one in the tank affected though. How are the other fish? Did you JUST notice the build up? or was it there for days? How big of a water change did you do?

Chris

s_anthony

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd pop him out of the tank and put him into an emergency tank if you have one and dose melafix or some treated food. I've only ever had 1 sick fish so far (knock on wood) and he exhibited some problems that 2 days in a melafix treated tank resolved. Granted I know it isn't for everything, but that stuff is wonderful.

How's the fishy doing now?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
i have a strong feeling this was caused by my water changes which may have caused rising ammonia levels...
Don't worry about water changes ever causing rising ammonia levels. Water changes are the solution for lowering ammonia, not a direct cause. The only way that could happen is if you also killed all your bacteria with chlorinated water, and still it would take at least a day, probably more, for your fish to excrete enough ammonia to poison themselves.

I hope you figure out what's wrong with your fish.

Jun 21, 2008
I just have to interject here that my tap water actually does have ammonia in it, so when I do a water change I'm actually adding some ammonia into the tank. I let the water sit with Prime in it for at least 12 hours, usually 24 to 48, and it's been fine, but it's there. I think it's in the form of ammonium, because there's chloramine in the tap water. I think that the Prime helps keep it non toxic, but I do try to not do water changes too often because it is there. I don't know that that's related to your problem, but I thought I'd share.