Help

kagal

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
SW PA
I set up my 55 gallon tank and let set for 3 days before adding fish. I added 2 corys and 3 zebra danios. and was getting ready for to add a few cichlids the next day and when i awoke i had dead and dieing fish. i did a test of PH and it was fine ammonia was detected but was just above normal. but the nitrites was way off the graph. what could have caused it?. i have gotten the nitrites back down but am worried about the nitrites going wacko again.  and to add another question. will i be able to keep3 rams and 3 apisto. the tank has driftwood and is half rock and half planted. should i add more rock for this combo?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I agree. Your nitrites spiked because your tank isn't cycled. I would wait until they are nomal until you add any fish. And as cloth said wait and add them slowly. Good luck and enjoy the cichlids. ;D

kagal

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
SW PA
ok thank you guys very much. figured after that amount of time it would be fine....my LFS said i waited long enough. he wanted me to redo the whole tank break down and clean everything and start over. i still have the tank running because one of the danios and 1 cory is still swimming and doing fine by the looks of it...kinda hesistent in doing that and possible having to do all over again