Help my Angels.......

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
We would need to know more about your tank - particularly the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels and also the temperature. I looks to me like they are gasping for air. I would certainly do about a 50 - 75% water change immediately while you are waiting for other ideas.

Jul 25, 2013
I have kept them in a 2 feet tank (15 gallon)
Temp - 27-28
Didnt notice any symptoms before gettin ill. They are Eating but very less. When i go closer they swim for a while but again lay down. They have been in this misery for more than 12 days. I dont want to lose them. plz suggest me some cure

I have been changing water (50%) almost daily

Sorry but i dont have ant water testing kit....
dont know how it happened but both the angels got ill when i put them in a plastic barrel could that be the problem?? but thanks for the reply.. Plz suggest me some antibiotic names Also, shall i treat them with formaline and malachite green?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Is there a pet store that would test the water for you? What kind of plastic barrel and what had been in it previously? Also I think that temp is a little high - 25 C is what I read was recommended. Is there anything else in the tank? The tank is actually to small for angels, but I doubt that is causing your problem right now. I have never used any medicines in any of my tanks so I can't make any suggestions, but without knowing what is wrong and what caused it, I wouldn't want to be putting anything into the water. Is your water well water or chlorinated water and do you treat that?

Jul 25, 2013
Its chlorinated water. I dont think any of the pet store here do that. Its a small city. the barrel i was using was at home since 8-10 years back but not used for fish keeping. It seems it was used in a chemical factory, i dont know which chemical it contained. But i am preety sure the barrel was the issue bcoz whenever i had put angel in that it got ill. Though the temp here is quite cool now.so dont think it would be an issue. As someone suggested me of feeding some boiled peas i did that but the angels are not eating that.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
A plastic barrel that was used for chemicals - no matter what kind - could probably never be safe for fish and antibiotics won't cure poisoning to my knowledge. At this point I believe your best bet is the water changes daily and dechlorinate it. Be sure to keep the temps the same when you change water. Is there anything on the barrel that would identify what was originally in it? It probably doesn't matter anyway, though, because fish are very sensitive to many chemicals, even in trace amounts.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Can you run activated carbon in the tank, or something like chemipure or bio chem zorb to remove any lingering traces of chemicals from the water? Sorry, I don't know what's available where you are but something like carbon should be available anywhere I would bet.