HELP I think Lancelot (Betta) has fin rot

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
The very tips of his long fins (under his chin)are turning white, they don't look shredded either.. Does this mean it is fin rot.. The pictures I have seen of it, don't look the same.

I just did a water change today, put the stress coat in the water as well as Kent water conditioner for Bettas.

He continues to eat well, swims around etc. I was commenting and posting, a couple of days ago, that he was extremely busy making bubbles all day. Could it be that when he hides and swims on the bottom that the long fins rub up agains the white gravel?

He is in a 2 gallon tank. I don't have all the set up yet, heater etc etc... I am hoping that next week I will get a 12 gallon tank with all the works.. What can I do in the meantime... $$$ is a real issue right now till I get my wire which should be here by the 1st...

Help please.. I hope this isn't the beginning of something awful. I have only had him a week....
:confused:

Thanks in advance, I am worried about my little guy...

Marie

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
a two gallon tank is better than most bettas get(betta bowl). i wouldnt worry too much if he is still eating and if he is blowing bubbles at the top, thats the sign of a happy betta! just watch him and give us an update of his condition.:D

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I sure hope not!

Melafix is supposed to be a good treatment for fin-rot and many other bacteria-related illnessess.

I seem to remember a posting about a female betta with fin-rot. It made a full recovery when treated.

If you have a digital camera (wish I did), try to take a picture and post it up. Hopefully, someone with more experience can help put your fears to rest.

Papillon

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2003
Montclair, NJ
Visit site
Yeah I don't have a digital camera, I wish I did...... He hasn't been blowing bubbles today at all...

This is ridiculous, I have a dog and two cats, and I am freaking out about my fish, which suprising to me, I have fallen in love with too.... The things you learn about fish!!! Next week providing $$ is there, I will get everything I need, and also preventative (agianst disease) water conditioners. I would prefer to be safer than sorry.....

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sometimes my fish get some white parts on their fins, but I don't think it necessarily means that its finrot. A lot of times it just goes away. Maybe that his fins got injured somehow and are now healing, or that they're growing?

Keep an eye on him, but no need to panic :)