Hello from Indiana

Bowfin

New Fish
Jul 30, 2010
I have been keeping fish for a long time, currently running about 6 tanks from 150 to 15 breeder, with a 75 and 40 breeder in the middle :)

I have been concentrating of North American Native Fishes for about 2 years now and find them very interesting and also FREE.
Hope to be of some help to the newer hobbyists here, and maybe learn a few tricks myself.

Bowfin

New Fish
Jul 30, 2010
Darters

Yes i do, currently i have about 4 different species in with a few Orange Spotted sunfish in a 40 breeder. These are probably the most suitable Natives for almost any hobbyist. They are very active, colorful, and interesting. Max out at about 3 inches or so and just mainly hop around on the tank bottom as most species have no swim bladder, they can however manage to get to the top to take bloodworms, which is one of their favorite foods.
The first image below is a Rainbow Darter, The second is the male and female Orange Spotted Sunfish

A Bowfin by the way, is a Native also, very aggressive fish that dates to the time that T-Rex roamed the countryside. They have been able to survive to the current day, probably because they are able to live in the most unsuitable water conditions you can imagine.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
Nice photos!

My passion is aquatic plants and I've always wanted to do a darter tank. I understand that darters like a lot of flow in their set-ups. Do you find that to be true?

Since they stay on the bottom for the most part, I'm guessing a long tank would be better than a tall one.

Do you keep plants or know if they would uproot plants once established?

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I never hear of anyone keeping native fish. Great to hear about you doing it. I'm just over here in New England.

I think we would all love to hear more complete story on one of your natice tanks......water chem, temp, whatever you do to maintain it...and of course...PICTURES...

Welcome.