Heater for 50 Gal

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
I'm in the process of buying all my supplies for my new 50 Gal tank. How much wattage do I need on a heater for that size of tank. I'm going Ebo-Jaber all the way, just need to know how many watts, 125?

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Ok cool. I'm also swapping out the default Fluval with an Eheim. My other question is obviously the hood is a tad under-watted as far as any plants might go, I can't remember the exact wattage of the bulb on the normal starter kit hood, but it sucks. I'm working at constructing my own. The tank is 36" wide so I can put a 3 foot fluorescent strip across that will take a 30 watt dayglo bulb. Multiple by 3 strips and that is still only 90 watts, how do most people make their own hoods with sufficient lighting?

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
considering your cold climate, i would go with the 200 watts. or even the 250 watt, or like soulfish said... 2x 100 watts

as for the lighting look to the salt water guys, get a HO or VHO set up. a little more costly but hey thats what you gotta do

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you can also use screw in flourescents (the spiraly ones) if you are making our own...should be able to get a socket setup for that...I just did that today in my 29gal...if you want more info I will re-post or you can e-mail me...there was a link to a site about it, but the site is down

Kevin

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Ok I've decided on the 2 100watt Ebo-Jaber plan. I've heard of VHO but wasn't sure if that what most people used on their Freshwater/Brackish tanks or not. I'll have to price it out.

Camaro I'll give you an shout on email, maybe you can explain the screw in flourescent more to me.

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Heheh ok ok, due to an unexpected Income Tax problem in my favour I have an increased amount of funds. I'm looking at a 77gallon tank now instead of a 50. So I'm switching to 2 150watt ebo-jagers instead of 100watt, and can switch to 4 foot wide fluorescent instead of 3 foot wide. I'm going the DIY pop bottle CO2 route with a bleed valve (don't want any bottle explosions on me :D ). Just an overall update for Ya'll.