headlights?

Hey, I was driving home from the airport today when I got the idea of headlights for aquarium lighting.  It seems like a good idea; waterproof, bright, efficient, low heat, and relatively cheap.  I was wondering if anyone had thought of the same thing or if anyone knew if they did or didn't work.

thanx 4 the help

riddlephil

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
im a newbie in the plant department too but i think that they might be too bright.  THey also run off 12 volts instead of 110.  So you would have to get a power converted as well.

riddlephil

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i would say ya for sure. just try to look at a headlight up close.  I dont know for sure, like i say, im new to this but i think they are too bright.  Im looking at getting a power compact kit from ah supply currently.  check them out
www.ahsupply.com

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
I think they might get a bit hot, and if water splashed on them , they might break and you'd have some pretty nasty gases near your aquarium water, (halogen, neon, argon, etc. yuck)

however I have seen people use those high intensity lights  you see on those orange stands at Home Depot.. contractors use them on construction sites.  now if I can only remember who uses that.  It might be someone here, I don't remember.

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
I wonder if there was one tank approaching another tank with hight beams on, would the approaching tank flick his off an on really quickly?

If a tank passed a police tank on the highway, would it flip it's highbeams on and off to warn other aquariums?

ok I am silly today  ;D

R

ronrca

With all these headlight flashing, I think it would depend what fish is at the helm. For instance, a discus would be a very sensible flasher and dim his lights 3 miles from an approaching tank, would not even notice a cop car because he never breaks the law anyways and never ever leave his high beams on, actually rarely put them on unless he seeing his honey.

On the other hand, you get a tiger barb or a african cichlid, well, that spells disaster.

[quote author=Somonas link=board=diy&num=1028088641&start=0#4 date=07/31/02 at 18:24:20]
I think they might get a bit hot, and if water splashed on them , they might break and you'd have some pretty nasty gases near your aquarium water, (halogen, neon, argon, etc. yuck)[/quote]
My headlights have never broken when it begins to rain... :p